​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Carrying a DSLR on the TGO

Hi John,

yet i saw a fair few, possibly 4. So there must be some advice and opinions out there..

Don't just think about the camera. One of the reasons I bought my Fuji (not a dslr) was that it takes AA batteries so if (and when) they run flat I can buy replacements almost anywhere. So I don't carry spares or a charger. I agree with JD it is a bit heavy but at least I can tie it to a guy rope to keep the tent anchored in a high wind!
At 5mp it does all I want but you may not be able to get anything less than 10 or 12 so you will also have to carry spare cards, more weight!

John,

I understand your dilemma.

I decided to take my DSLR with me on this years crossing. So I lugged a 60D in a Lowepro 55AW toploader (with the camera inside a medium sized exped drybag). I carried it on the left hand hip belt of my rucksack, with one of the top carrying connectors connected to the rucksack LH shoulder strap via a small alpkit Clipper. This worked well - very comfortable to carry.

I also took along a small tripod (Pedco Ultrapod II), and ball head (Giottos 1302-652), to use on the Ultrapod and also on the top of my Leki walking poles that can be use as monopods.

The weather on the first week though was so bad that I only took 110 pictures. (If your serious about taking 'good' pictures - its quite a faff and time consuming to setup (i.e. camera out, onto tripod, etc.)

I shipped the whole lot home from Braemar at the end of the first week (after which the weather became great!!!

Next time - I think I will revert to taking a good quality compact camera that can shoot RAW format and has a bit of exposure control available.

I hope this helps.

Bernie.

Thanks George

I carried my Nikon this year but will not carry it again. Apart form the weight there is the bulk in the pack. Then every time you want to take a shot you have to stop, take off the pack, take the shot and repack. Forget about changing lenses! Most of my pictures were of camp sites. The small "point and shoot" can be kept in a pocket and ready for that action shot.

A DSLR have can take better pictures but in the real world of the Challenge it is a challenge to use it.
William.

I use a Lowepro case for my Fuji 570 and clip it to my sack using a couple of crabs (no lobster jokes please). I usually use a climbing sack with gear loops and these are ideal for clipping odd bits of gear to. The case is quite water resistant but in heavy rain (unusual on a Challenge) I just use a plastic bag for extra waterproofing. With this system I can get at the camera without taking off the sack.

Get the 550D. Same sensor. All you gain is better video function and some higher ISO ability.

550D is 30% lighter and more compact than the 600D. The money saved goes on a better lens, and in the end you'll still get no better results with your photos with a 600D.

Also I use a compact case with the 550D and it's no trouble to carry.

I was very tempted to take my NX10 this year, but erred on weight and took the Optio instead. As it happens, with the water this year ut may have been a good choice, because it was fully waterproof and I could use it in the rain.
But the picture were not a patch on the DSLR ones, and next time I am going to go with the NX10.
I will use a lowpro case, and an additional dry bag in case it hoses down like this year.
Wouldn't mind opinion on the best fully waterproof DSLR case.

When I took my GH2 and lenses on the Challenge I used an Ortlieb bag on a chest harness. It's completely waterproof and with a zip closure fast to get into. The only down side is you can't see your feet. Once you are used to this it isn't a problem, you are just looking a couple of steps ahead which is how you should walk anyway.

Ian C.

Can you see your feet when you're not carrying the camera gear, old buddy?

Yes. I use a mirror on a stick and who are you calling old?

at last , someone else that imbibes cod liver oil. there are many advantages to waterproofing from the inside. the cod is a perfect example, maybe it will catch on .

forgot to mention my favorite de-hyd. :- C2H5OH.

Ah, that explains lots!

JJ

Hi Mark,

Whilst I did not carry my DSLR (Canon 5D MKII) on the Challenge I have carried it quite a lot on smaller trips, in fact, I have it with me nearly all the time.

The solution I find, for any camera, is to fit it into the smallest possible bag I can find because it makes it less baulky and I am more likely to carry it with me everywhere I go. For walking and backpacking I either hang it from the hip belt (because it has a belt loop) or to simply hang the bag in front of you, or a combination of the two. If you store it in your rucksack all of the time then you are unlikely to use it much and then regret taking it, but if it is to hand you will use it and subsequently enjoy the quality of the images compared to a compact camera.

If the bag has an all weather cover then that will keep most of the rain off and the camera will stay dry but if it is a particularly rainy day then you might need to put it in your rucksack in a drybag. Spraying the bag with the same stuff you use for walking boots helps stop rain soaking into the bag.

When I was climbing (via ferrata) in the Dolomites I used a Lowepro Toploader 75 (the old model) to carry my Canon 5D. I hung it in front of me and put the strap round my neck. I then had a strap that went round my waist to keep it steady while I was climbing, it worked a treat.

The 550D is very similar and lighter and if you did not want the video then I would recommend that but if you might do video, and video of yourself (it has a flip out screen), then the 600D is would be better. Also the 650D has just been announced which might push the 600D prices down.

Hope that helps

Bryan

I have the same camera as Bryan. This year I bought a new Lowe toploader which has a better rain cover.

I carry only one lens and make sure it is relatively light. The case is carried bandolier style over my shoulder. With filters and a spare battery this comes to just over 2 kilograms which I think is worth it if you are really inot your photography. To some extent the weight on your front helps balance the weigt of your pack.

This year I caried a tripod bringing the whole load up to 3.5 kilograms. Perhaps, this is no advisable.

The weather was so bad this year that I hardly used it all!

Still, the sun is bound to shine next year

Hi, carrying one or not is a personal preference. I carried mine this year. After looking for many years for the ideal carrying solution (when using a rucksack) I think i have found it. I use a Spiderpro bracket attached to the belt and a simple silnylon bag draped over the camera - completely unobtrusive and faster than a normal bag. If it wasn't for the weight I wouldnt have known it was there

cheers