​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Andrew W, Bill, Jeremy, Judith......help!

Jean

I leave my pole cover permanently attached as a) I daren't take the risk of getting wet and b) I think it probably does make the tent a little more stable in wind.

I have fitted guy-line runners to the (door side) ends of the pole cover lines as this means I can easily slacken off and tighten the pole cover for pitching and striking camp.

You will get different points of view. Some people say you don't need the cover but should seam-seal the seam that the pole runs over. I'm not sure you have time for it to dry though!

I thread the pole through very gently, inch by inch. It has got easier, but I think that's because I'm gentler than I used to be.

Good luck with it. I pinched some modification ideas from http://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/laser-comp-mods/

Judith
Jean

I leave my pole cover permanently attached as a) I daren't take the risk of getting wet and b) I think it probably does make the tent a little more stable in wind.

I have fitted guy-line runners to the (door side) ends of the pole cover lines as this means I can easily slacken off and tighten the pole cover for pitching and striking camp.

You will get different points of view. Some people say you don't need the cover but should seam-seal the seam that the pole runs over. I'm not sure you have time for it to dry though!

I thread the pole through very gently, inch by inch. It has got easier, but I think that's because I'm gentler than I used to be.

Good luck with it. I pinched some modification ideas from http://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/laser-comp-mods/

As Judith said you might want to try my mods. I think the pole cover is worthwhile and a lot easier you use lineloks. Mini karabiners also solve the issue of untangling the cords. Double guying the ends helps stability. The threshold cord takes the strain off the door panel.

I'm taking my Scarp 1 as I want a bit of extra room and it's one of the most storm worthy tents you can buy, but it's a bit heavier. Unlike Jeremy, I've chosen a sturdier tent above an endless supply of underwear

All been said really.
I found the pole threading ok, but a bit of talc may do the trick.
Make sure the inner stays attached, because it is so much easier to pitch with it in.
I would definitely take the rain cover, especially with this years forecast. It both helps stabalise the tent, and gives extra protection from damp seepage.

Well, that's it then...........

Packed (too much, more than I thought, who cares), it's the food that does it.
And the comfort items.

Now just waiting to get the train to KX, Euston and then Glasgow.

I will miss Lucy, Olly and Harriet hugely for the next 2.x weeks (even Lucy's cold),

but I am now all ready, and just want to get on with it.

Must ice the left foot again.

My favourite dehydrated food: I hate dehydrated food :(

aye with this year's forecast it'll be a job to keep it dehydrated.

Hi, I have found that if you insert the pole, male end first, it is easier.
The pole is constructed male to female etc and feeding it through this way does not appear to snag as much.
Taking the pole out, just keep feeding it the same way.
I have fitted the pole cover very loosely and find that it is possible to feed the pole through without too much trouble.
Sorry about the anatomy terminology.
You probably know what I mean.

Hi Jean - yes you do need the pole sleeve. I left mine behind last year - on advice of other Challengers and I got a bit of a leak at the apex of the pole. It's a bit fiddly to attach the first time but you can then leave it attached longterm
I remember my pole being a bit sticky to start with but soon loosened up with use.
While your buying pegs think about some extra guys as well. I attached an extra guy ot both ends and off the pole last year and with the high winds was glad I did. It stood up as well as Sue's Akto. remember it is advised to pitch it with the pole facing the wind rather than the end to the wind - which doesn't seem logical but does work.
Have a good Challenge!

Hi Jean
You need the pole cover as it guarantees no leaks from the stitching round the pole seam. Hope you understood that!!
It also aids stability.
I have the Laser Comp and its a great tent, it stood up to all the battering last year and kept me dry.
Have a great walk.
All the best
Lawrie

Thank you all very much, that's all most helpful and reassuring; apart perhaps from Sandy's male and female anatomy, as both of my pole ends look the same - perhaps that's why it was at "clearance" price!!

If that signifies a real problem, I don't know whether to say don't tell me or I'll worry, or tell me quick and I'll take the old Akto after all. But I did pitch it in the garden, and it did seem to work. Haven't bought extra guys though, & no chance now, but i could take a bit of climbing cord.

I'm off in the morning, whateffer!!

Jean.
Both ends do indeed look the same. Where the section joins is the difference.

I think my explanation has lost something in the translation. Sorry if I have confused you.

My Laser Comp is the best tent I have used.

I'm sure an old hand as yourself will have nae bother.

Have a good trip.

Not the ends of the pole Jean.
Look at the coupling points.
One is an inny one an outy.
That's how you tell the gender.

As Jean will be singing traditional songs about lovelorn maidens, handsome boatmen, and rugged ploughboys all the way across, I'm sure she will have worked out the male/female business by the time she gets to Montrose

Hey, lay off, you unruly lot!.....Sorry, yes I was just being a bit thick there.

See you in Montrose!