​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Not Long Now

Bizarrely, this year I find myself strangely organised, with all the stuff I need in a big heap, ready to be stuffed into the rucksack. All is calm & tranquil.

Usually at this point in the game I am flying around like a lunatic trying to remember what it is I have forgotten from my kit list and only remembering it when sitting on the train to Scotland.

Andy Walker has shouldered that burden this year.

As for myself, tho' not present on this years's Challenge (Thank f*ck for that. Ed.) I am as we squeak staring slack-jawed at my own personal heap, trying to gather together the gubbins for a bimble along the HRP from Hendaye to Lascun. My understanding is that the Basque Country is even wetter than Fort Bill. And there appears to be be substantial snow cover over 1,800m. I have promised The Sloworm that texts will fly, just to give you all a giggle.

Good luck and safe crossing to you all - and a special blessing to all you first-timers. I've sung this song many the time - and to me it's this continual re-invention that makes The Challenge such a wonderful event. Eleven years ago I set off from Torridon on my first adventure. Five daze later I came across Slowman in Kingussie, followed by Denis Pidgeon, Deputy Dawg and Michael Gray in Braemar. I really can't recall much after that . . .

Ahhh the HRP. I recommend it as a warm up for your next Challenge. The purple local wines, carried to the huts by mules and poured out of chipped earthenware jugs; utter bliss!!!

alan.sloman
Usually at this point in the game I am flying around like a lunatic trying to remember what it is I have forgotten from my kit list and only remembering it when sitting on the train to Scotland.

Andy Walker has shouldered that burden this year.

Have you considered puttign him on the train on Wednesday, so he can phone back and tell you what's needed while there's still plenty of time for you to go out and buy it?

Jeremy - he IS going to be on the train on Wednesday.

Toooo late now. tick, tick, tick ...