​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lunches

Squirty cheese (aka Primula), oatcakes, mars bars, those crunchy oat biscuit thingies, malt loaf, bits of grass and slugs.

Freddy (Malaig cadre)
I'm slighty weird in that I do not feel hungry in the morning and altho having enjoyed bacon and eggs most mornings in all the decades since I left home I plan to skip breakfast this year.
I have packed enough dried grub to have a full meal when I get unbearably hungry ( I guess at midday) and then again when I get to my evening campsite.
Also I will head the advice of the wise given on my last crossing 2009 do not ever pass up the chance of a feed on the trail.
Whenever I see food for sale this year I will go in and eat. It's a win win to leave money behind whenever you can.
BTW are any of the Mallaig elite planning to turn left at the jetty?

I'm not much of a breakfast person either but I try and force something down when I'm covering some miles. At home/work I don't tend to eat until I've been up a couple of hours. I'll be stuffing down some porridge or granola bars/cereal and hoping for the odd fry up where possible.
I definitely need a lunch though, I really start to lag late afternoon if I don't eat much.

I'm off to Morrisons tomorrow night so I'm sure I'll find some interesting stuff, I might get a couple of those tuna steaks in sauce which have always gone down well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I've got a couple more things on the shopping list.

After the weekend I'll be baking a batch of my special (large & thick) Challenge oatcakes (could post you a sample, Shewie.....). I used to carry nasty plastic cheese slices, but recently found Aldi's mature cheddar slices keep quite well out of the fridge for a bit so will take along some of those.... and Marmite!

Ah, so I am not the only one who takes Marmite with me! I shall also take some hard, rubbery cheese - like Leerdammer - and eat that and/or the Marmite on crackers or oatcakes. I'll take some portion-sized packets of wholemeal crackers with me and I'll buy oatcakes when they run out. I used to take Primula but I prefer proper cheese, although I may end up buying some when my fresh cheese runs out.

My policy is to buy locally and not send any food parcels, so after day 3 I've not got a clue what I'll be eating, although I NEVER walk past a pub or a cafe!

I also have nuts and chocolate with me and find that dried mango gives me a sugar boost when required. (I gave up Jelly Babies when I became a Veggie. )

Freddy (Malaig cadre)
I have packed enough dried grub to have a full meal when I get unbearably hungry ( I guess at midday)..

I cant eat a large breakfast but I do like, and need, some food in the mornings and for me that is cereal generally.

Each to their own and all that but I would not wait until lunchtime before eating my first food of the day. When your stomach is telling you it is hungry your body is already waaay past the point of needing food for energy and having not eaten since the night before I ALWAYS eat breakfast even if I don't feel hungry.

Bryan

Found I felt sick with nerves most mornings last year, but forced a cereal bar down because I knew I should eat. This year, different cereal bars and digestives, baby bel, Oaty Bakes, fruit cake and Heinz Squeeze and Stir, heavier but much nicer and better nutritionally than instant soup. Plus stop at any food establishment I stumble across!

Real cheese (Jarlsberg a backpacking foavorite at the mo!), oatcakes or crackers, Snickers bars, Macadamia nuts and Cranberries, Cadbury's creme eggs, Sesame crackers, chocolate covered Acai berries and other yummies I can pick up on the way.

My ultimate outdoor lunch menu contains smoked salmon accompanied by rolls, fresh air and blue skies. And a shortbread finish.

Markus

GORP, salted cashews, mini chedders, cereal bars, and then buy cake and such like when available.

I'm sending nearly all my food up for the first half and then intending to buy more as I go along but still carrying some reserves.

Lunch is a BIG problem for me ... gluten intolerance knocks out the majority of things you guys use as the base for your lunches, and lactose intolerance does for the rest.

I've found this GREAT supplier of things that I CAN eat, though at http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/

Their various snack bars, fruit bars etc. give me the basis for a mid-day meal. I aim to make up varied lunches of four items, always aiming for about 800 calories in total.

I'll also probably put together a bit of trail mix using things like dried apple, pine kernels, raisins and macadamia nuts if I can find a bit of spare space in teh pack to carry it!!

Hi Byan
I may have misrepresented my cunning plan. I do take a slab of pemmican with me for those morning breaks.
David - Jarlsberg and Macadmia's nommmm- There'll be on my shop list tomorrow.
Jeremy- tricky- if our paths cross you must try my home brewed Pemmican - not a hint of glactose or gluten - pure jet fuel-where do you start from?

Got my food finally sorted, thanks for the suggestions folks. I've updated my blog with my list of anyone's interested ...

http://shewiesworld.blogspot.co.uk/

5 more sleeps until my adventure starts

Freddie -

I doubt our paths will cross this year. I'm starting at Lochailort on the Saturday, and going by way of Corryhully, Cona Glen, Corran Ferry, up into the Mamores, down into Glen Nevis and across the south end of Loch Treig to Corrour station.

From Corrour I'm taking a day off to attend my union AGM in London (isn't the sleeper a wonderful thing??) and I bet I'm the only Challenger this year with London as a phone-in point

From Corrour I'm doing what my vetter described as a "wonderfully obscure traverse" north of Loch Rannoch to come out at Old Struan (wild camp behind the kirk on the banks of the Garry ... there's a great spot there) then take in a couple of Munros north of Glen Tilt before crossing the glen to Fealar Lodge and making my way to a wild camp by Loch nan Eun and doing the spectacular ridge walk into Braemar.

I don't arrive at Braemar until Monday, so by now (what with my late start and day out in London) I'll be well behind the main wave of Challengers.

From Braemar I'll go over Lochnagar to Glas-allt-Shiel, then through the hills to Tarfside (there should be some hope of a hostel bed on Wednesday night!!). From Tarfside it's on to Edzell and Fettercairn, and on Friday it's a short leg from Fettercairn to St Cyrus and then into Montrose before Challenge COntrol finally shuts up shop.

I'm aiming for a high level crossing this year. I have 17 Munros and 2 Corbetts on my route card. Whether I do them all is another matter. (Last year I managed only a single Corbett ... Beinn Resipole on my first day out of Acharacle

Better luck with the Munros this year, Jeremy - but pack your axe & crampons. Eastern half of the Mamores was plasterd last weekend, fresh on top of hard, (tho' gorgeous sunshine) and the 4000-footers even more so, and there's more forecast for this weekend and next week.

Will send you some pics by e-mail if you wish!

Breakfast 4 chocolate digestives

Lawrie H
Breakfast 4 chocolate digestives

Ah, chocolate digestives, I knew there was something I hadn't packed! I will have to buy some along the way

Jean
Better luck with the Munros this year, Jeremy - but pack your axe & crampons. Eastern half of the Mamores was plasterd last weekend, fresh on top of hard, (tho' gorgeous sunshine) and the 4000-footers even more so, and there's more forecast for this weekend and next week.

Will send you some pics by e-mail if you wish!

Noooo ... if it's snow on the tops up there, I stay low and go by way of Kinlochleven. I'm not carrying crampons and ice axe all the way across ... I'm trying to shed weight, not gain it. Plus, I don't actually have any ice-axe training.

I'll be carrying emergency snow grips - but not with the intention of deliberately going into places where I'll need to use them!!

I did have my emergency microspikes in my pack last weekend, Jeremy - but they balled up pretty fast, and would have been useless on those steep snow slopes without an axe. I kicked steps with my boots up the first one (aided by someone who had gone before).....then thought how daft, found a different way down, and changed my plans. Trouble is, you don't really see the snow from the glen below: the smaller hills in front block the view.

You'd actually be fine at the west end - Mullach nan Coirean and Stob Ban - but for example the Devil's Ridge (which I had planned but avoided) was apparently icy and snow increases eastward.

Freddy Mallaig cadre
Hi Byan
I may have misrepresented my cunning plan. I do take a slab of pemmican with me for those morning breaks.
David - Jarlsberg and Macadmia's nommmm- There'll be on my shop list tomorrow.
Jeremy- tricky- if our paths cross you must try my home brewed Pemmican - not a hint of glactose or gluten - pure jet fuel-where do you start from?

I couldn't imagine you going all morning without eating something

Pemmican! I had to look it up, interesting substance!