Return to Website

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event docs etc at TGO Challenge Resources page 
TGOC13 SPOT Tracker map (courtesy of Adventure Trading Post)
Queries? Contact the co-ordinator

Forum: The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: East Coast Trains Advance Tickets! - Now, Mount Kenya

Jean

We spent a night at below 2000m and had a gentle walk on the day we arrived in the country. Sunday, we drove to the start of the walk - altitude about 2600m - and walked only for 3 hours (9km) to 3300m. I noticed, that day, that I got out of breath quickly but recovered as soon as I stopped.

Monday was about 14km over about 7 hours taking us up to 4200m. That was the day when I felt sick and lacked energy all day (and was sick in the evening).

Tuesday was due to be an up and down day finishing at 4300m. My highest altitude was 4600m and I then dropped down to 4200m again. Boy, I felt really sick and lethargic.

Wednesday, I spent about 4 hours trudging uphill and finished at about 4900m. The actual "walkers' summit" is at 4985m but I am just reporting what my GPS said when I recorded a waypoint.

We then all dropped down to the camp at 4200m again for breakfast then did the 14km back to the camp at 3300m. That was a long tiring walk and it was as if I now had a psychological dread of going uphill. My colleagues had to offer great encouragement.

After a night's sleep, on Thursday we walked the 9km back to the transport at 2600m.

Email me if you have any questions - unless people don't mind me hijacking this board!

Email