295th Avn Co
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1970 - 1974 at Mainz-Finthen Army Airfield

My dad was with the 295th Avn Co, the late CW4 Lewis W. Hawn. I am currently in Kaiserslautern, Germany, working for the US Army as a DoD Civilian. Looking at 295th Avn Co. web site brings back many fond memories.

Thanks,

G. Hawn

Re: 1970 - 1974 at Mainz-Finthen Army Airfield

Hello Garry:
If my memory serves me right, your Dad was one hell of a pilot. Very respected and very thourough and precise. I wasn't able to fly much, but heard of his expertise. I did see him checking a Skycrane out one day. He did a full power lift after a maintenance work. That thing went up faster then any elevator could, and probably faster than most fighters of the day. Straight up, Boom. I also know that everyone I talked to really respected his abilities and him as a person. Don't blame you for being proud.
I'm the webmaster of the 295th page, everything I have here is mostly from the folks of the 295th, I couldn't have done it without their help, so you can tell they are a really great bunch of folks that really seemed to be proud of the job they did.

I was at Finthen 74-77, and remember Chief Hawn. Your dad, and everyone in that unit, were great folks...

Garry, send me your email address.
Max Torrence
superhook@bellsouth.net