295th Avn Co
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Demise of the Skycrane

Thanks Max.

Your version does seem more of the way it happened. uncle sam always has a way of making something happen for a good reason. guess that's why we're still the best free country in the world.

the other way had merit too, and i could see it happen that way.

i didn't know you were the last CO of the crane unit in active service. did you transition into the hooks? how do they compare to the cranes as far as flying and other areas of operation?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Butch,

I enjoyed the article you posted to the website from Jim Kurtz regarding the demise of the Skycrane from the active rolls. It is not completely correct and I have contacted my old friend Jim to let him know he was not at fault. I was the Commander of the 273rd at Sill at the time he mentions. I along with my battalion commander, Dan Madish had gone to the Pentagon in late 1978 to see the Chief of DSLOG Aviation, Joe Cribbins to plead the case of the Crane and to keep it in the active inventory. It was his decision, and the bottom line was it was too expensive to keep the support and repair parts system in place for such a small number of aircraft. The decision was to go with the upgraded CH-47. In late 1979, the 10 B model Cranes left Ft Sill for the National Guard. Jim Kurtz (retired 0-6 and now with a Defense contractor) tells me that the military is once again looking at a concept for a Heavy Lift Helicopter. The history of the Crane is of great interest to them. Now you know the rest of the story! Take care, Max

Re: Re: Demise of the Skycrane

Hi Butch,

I turned over command of the 273rd Avn Co. at Ft Sill in July 1979

to my good friend Cpt Bruce Grable (the Ops Officer of the unit). He was the last Commander and deactivated the unit. I went off to a year of school and then flew UH-1's in my last flight assignment before retiring.

Replying to:

Thanks Max.

Your version does seem more of the way it happened. uncle sam always has a way of making something happen for a good reason. guess that's why we're still the best free country in the world.

the other way had merit too, and i could see it happen that way.

i didn't know you were the last CO of the crane unit in active service. did you transition into the hooks? how do they compare to the cranes as far as flying and other areas of operation?

Replying to:

Butch,

I enjoyed the article you posted to the website from Jim Kurtz regarding the demise of the Skycrane from the active rolls. It is not completely correct and I have contacted my old friend Jim to let him know he was not at fault. I was the Commander of the 273rd at Sill at the time he mentions. I along with my battalion commander, Dan Madish had gone to the Pentagon in late 1978 to see the Chief of DSLOG Aviation, Joe Cribbins to plead the case of the Crane and to keep it in the active inventory. It was his decision, and the bottom line was it was too expensive to keep the support and repair parts system in place for such a small number of aircraft. The decision was to go with the upgraded CH-47. In late 1979, the 10 B model Cranes left Ft Sill for the National Guard. Jim Kurtz (retired 0-6 and now with a Defense contractor) tells me that the military is once again looking at a concept for a Heavy Lift Helicopter. The history of the Crane is of great interest to them. Now you know the rest of the story! Take care, Max