Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cis / Ciss Lane

Anyone find anything out about Ciss Lane on this forum I would just like to add this being an owd Downer greener but I could be miles out,

All the old Downer greeners will remember the 3/4 Blue Bell cottages which would have been much older than the Bell, they only had one door the only way you could get into the houses was down the side of the Bell when my grandparents lived there, I remember seeing them they backed on to the school playground,

Also if any of you that went to the school in the 40s do you remember as you went through the back gate in the small playground going onto the field you could see the remains of old building at the back of the bell wall that was overgrown with weeds, ? could this have been the start of Ciss Lane at one time before they built the Blue Bell, if you look along Rectory Road you can see their were other roads off

Town: Ashton