Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: pubs

A book I'm reading at the moment -"Robert Lewis and his son Jake"- says "In Ashton-in-Makerfield in Joe Gormley's time there were 39 pubs and 20 clubs". How many today, I wonder?

Town: Ashton

While visiting Ashton and Wigan earlier this month, I went past what is left of the Golden Ball, sad to see what a mess it was in, my grandfather played the piano in the pub at the weekends in the 1960s.

Town: Maidstone

Now the Golden Ball site is nearly cleared a for sale sign has been put up for the land. Who would buy the land unless they thought they could make a profit by having it then bought by the council?

Town: ashton

I think that is for the house at the back Peter.

Town: Ashton

Thanks Ian seen the sign for the cottage but same applies or who wants a main road running past their front door onto a new housing/industrial estate

Town: ashton