Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drum and Monkey

OK, everybody knows this was the common name for the (North Ward?) Labour Club on Bryn Road.
But where does the nickname come from? Lists of old Ashton pubs don't mention it, so was it not a pub which became a club? Or what?
In fact, we all just called it the Drum, even when it was the Ashfield or whatever it turned into.

Re: Drum and Monkey

Unless I'm mistaken, the simple answer is that the pub that stood on the land before the club was called the Drum & Monkey.

You may like to look through these names and addresses in Bryn Road in 1926,i've looked but can't see anything of a Pub or Club called the Drum and Monkey

Don't for get to make things bigger(Ctil Key + Scrool wheel)
to go back to normal size----------(Ctrl Key + Zero)

Town: Ashton

Dougie.

Thank you for the list of residences in Bryn Road, it is amazing the number of owners who's occupation is given as 'collier.

Town: Maidstone

Maybe it was listed on Nicol Rd.

Fascinating list, where does it come from - and is there anymore of it?

I've been in touch with a friend that I think uploaded it on Wigan World over two years ago(which I saved) to ask where he got it from so I may get back to you later about it

See you've not wished us a Happy New Year on the(Test Thread) yet to let people know you still--------- ----But your not the only one-------------

It looks like an extract from Seed's Wigan & District Directory for 1925/6. There's a copy (for reference) in Ashton library - top shelf, third bay along from the Sure Start desk if memory serves...

Thanks for posting that directory list Dougie. I've seen it before, and it contains a lot of familiar names, including my great grandad John Ashton at 241.
The Drum would be on the even-numbered side of the street, and maybe it wasn't listed because nobody actually lived there? I believe it was in existence at that time, or soon after, although in an earlier building.
I've asked everybody I can think of and not come up with a convincing answer to how it came to be called the Drum.