Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: YouTube video I made

No one has told me how the Spoon and Fork balance on the end of the match yet

-------------------

Town: Ashton

Delving back to my 'O' Level maths and physics from the early 60's, I'm guessing the centre of gravity of the cutlery is below and inside the rim of the glass. Therefore the combination is hanging under the fulcrum rather than balancing above it. If I'm right, do I win a prize? On deeper reflection, was it part of the maths syllabus called 'moments of force'? I'll do without any prize having had the chance to act the smart Alec (or something else beginning with an A).

Town: Pit Pony Parish

You maybe right as we only got as far as balancing weights in the 50s, didn't do anything about things balancing under the fulcrum point the teacher told us
<----------->

If body is at rest under several forces all acting in the same plain the some of the clockwise moments equal the some of the anti clockwise moments when taken from the same point,

Town: Ashton

Dougie,
Imagine a tight-rope walker carrying a long arched pole with heavy weights at both ends, sagging below his feet. If the combined centre of gravity is below the rope, and he doesn't lose his footing, he can't fall off.
Q.E.D.
In theory anyway. I think. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS! Your Mum's clothes line might not be strong enough!

Town: Pit Pony Parish