Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Final version of Wigan MBC "Core Strategy" Doc

Thanks Dougie. I've just been having a look at the road on old-maps.co.uk. You're right; it seems to disappear (or at least the bridge and eastern end of it do) in the late 1960s, I guess when work was getting underway to transform the old Garswood Hall Colliery site. There are still some traces of the road in the field by Landgate Lane - I previously mistook them for remnants of the old railway from Pemberton but it's clear from the maps that the railway arched southwards to make for a smooth connection with the Wigan-Liverpool line. I'll look out for traces of the bridge next time I'm over that way.

As for the proposed new road I think it's more likely that they'll excavate the whole area and then start again from scratch. I recall reading in some council document or other that parts of it may be contaminated due to domestic refuse etc being used to fill in the old railway cutting.

Town: Ashton