Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Wartime memories

Yes it was 13 Legh Street.

Town: Kings Lynn

Re: Wartime memories

I could be wrong but was there a women called Mary known as Nelly Francies who had a small farm at the top of heath road,on the left just before the old iron bridge.The one that goes to Haydock Park race track.The school could be the old school on Heath road that is now a gym,the bakery may have been Mosses just at the back of the school.

Town: Ashton

Do you mean Mary Fairhurst? She must have been in or close to her nineties when she died last year. A remarkable woman. I remember her pitchforking hay by Ashton Heath a few years ago when she was in her eighties.

- David -

I suppose it could be but I cant place a farm although we certainly went somewhere on the haycart, but we were staying in an ordinary house in a normal street not actually staying on a farm.

Town: frankston, australia

Same area as Legh street.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Yes my ex wife and kids live on legh st

Am I right ? Do you pronounce it "Lee"?

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Yes it is the street at the back of Robinsons sadlers

Re: Legh Street

>>Am I right ? Do you pronounce it "Lee"?

I would think so. Does anyone know when the houses in Legh St/Park View/Flora Street were built? I would guess the 1930s. They must have represented a significant expansion of Ashton at the time.

- David -

Re: Re: Legh Street

Last year they put new drives on all the houses and as they were digging the gate posts dozens of old bottles were dug up and loads of clay pipes,it must have been a tip at some stage.Ive got some of them at home.It is pronounced lee.

Hi,

if you have a look on www.wiganworld.co.uk you will find pictures of ashton's streets and also some old photos of ashton, hope that helps.

Thank you Mark for the website of Wiganworld. Had a lovely couple of hours exploring it and all the marvellous photos, especially the Hippodrome which I remembered and left a comment.

Town: frankston australia