Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Landgate/Bryn Development Plans

Thanks Dougie. I found some more information about the Roman road that is said to have crossed the site, now included in the description of the relevant photo.

Town: Ashton

The very interesting account by the Reverend probably pre-dates the extensive coal mining of the area in the later 19th century, and more recently. Would our forebears have put historic importance before vast profits? Nice to think they might have, but is it more likely that the course of the current tracks is coincidental with the Roman road? The re-routing of Lowbank Road over time (even before the M6 was built) is only evident by comparing ancient and modern maps - sadly, open cast mining, of course, destroys all evidence of what went before.

Town: Pit Pony Parish

You're probably right John. I was surprised at how much of the structure apparently still survived when Rev Sibson surveyed the area. After all, the road would have already been around 1700 years old by then. However his description correlates with what the Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit found when they carried out excavations at Bryn Road in 1993. (See section 3.2 of this document. I haven't as yet been able to find a full report of the GMAU dig.)

Clarkey, I can see you've cracked the link thing on here, they are much better and easier for everyone,your last link of Ashton was very interesting thanks others should spend a bit of time on the (bb code links )

One last thing do you play Bowls for a team

Think you must have me confused with someone else, Dougie - I don't play bowls at all. Thanks again for pointing out the bb code tips - easy when you know how!

Some interesting stuff on this thread. Thanks Clarkey and Dougie. Great to have photographs and maps to tie everything together.

Town: Stubshaw

I officially opposed this development some time ago when there was a deadline date for submissions.

I tried to get some momentum going for an objection both on this and WW but didn't appear to get much of a response at the time as there were very few official objections submitted.

The area in question is all where I played growing in the 1970 and I would be really sad to say it all go under concrete.

Hello all,
well how things have progressed. Wigan council are now steaming ahead with their plans to destroy and obliterate this wonderful green site. There was a provisional 'exhibition' by the developers in Ashton library in the 2 weeks spanning Easter. §Deadline for comments to them is ... today ! However don't panic, the real deal is when they submit their plans to council for planning permission. A group has been set up to inform people and fight this monstrosity of a development, you can get more info here : www.keepbryngreen.co.uk (which links to the facebook page od B.A.D. (Bryn Against Development). There are photos of the information boards laying out the current plans for housing and 'units' . Give all the support you can and spread the word, and above all be ready to object in writing when the time comes !!!

True John. Last day to respond to the developer but still time to respond to council.

To get your word to the developer write today to landgateconsultation@neamesutton.co.uk

That email isn't working so send them to k.foster@wigan.gov.uk at the council and he will forward them.

What a shambles.