Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Name of lane

The road which links to the old Kelbits site and previously to the pits.Does anyone know the name of the road,it's the one which runs parallel with Dam Lane

Town: Ashton

Re: Name of lane

Have just looked on google maps and it doesn't seem to have a name Elizabeth.

However I bet your better off looking on an old map. There are some on the internet if you look around.

Town: Stubshaw

I dont think it ever had a name. I know it used to be the entrance to Edge Green Colliery. There are no names marked on any map Ive seen pre 1928. There used to be a few houses nearby and a chapel that later became a school, or the other way round.

Town: ashton

So is the "hill" next to Kelbits a slag heap just like the 3 sisters?

Town: Stubshaw

Exactly. There are still remnants of the old railway lines going in there.

Town: ashton

Andrede, I'm guessing that's the terminus of the spur that diverts from the old St Helens-Lowton railway line north of the Ashton Road bridge and then crosses over Dam Lane to reach the Hansons Aggregates site (formerly Kelbits and before that Edge Green Colliery). I don't know if it's still used now but there's video footage on You Tube of freight trains going up there just a few years ago.

Regarding Elizabeth's query I had a look on old-maps.co.uk and, as already mentioned, the road in question is marked but not named. Part of it does, however, follow the line of an old local government boundary and I wondered if it was perhaps known locally as 'Boundary Lane' or similar at one time. A methodist chapel is shown at the Edge Green Rd end on the Lancs & Furness 1:10,560 map for 1849, being replaced by an infants school on later maps in that series.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question.If I find out anymore information will post on site.