Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bring back walking day

At the risk of everyone having a pop at me, I still think we should have a walking day.

Town: Ashton

Re: Bring back walking day

Ah those far off innocent days when we all got dressed up and had a band and the BB drummers and marched proudly behind with banners!. Gone I'm afraid thanks to police cuts ,elf 'n safety and declining church congregations. Life seemed so much simpler then.

Town: AIM

I was reminded of Walking Days last Wednesday when I attended the funeral of Stanley Sudworth in Holy Triniy Church, Downall Green. Hanging in the Church were the two large banners that the Sunday School children walked with, holding their long ribbons and trying not to get blown away if it was a windy day. I took part in many of these walking days between the late 40s and late 50s, first with the choir and then with the Boys Brigade, sadly now a thing of the past.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

Going into Warrington to-day there was a sign saying Walking Day this Friday, so there must be some still taking place

Robin, Sorry I missed you when you came up to Downall Green, as I couldn't make it to Stan's funeral on the day but was thinking of him at 10am just the same b64v

Town: Ashton

Was sorry to hear about Stan. He was a nice bloke.

Town: Stubshaw

sooooooooooo happy that they are not doing them now, what a waste of police time and anyone trying to get through ashton! VERY HAPPY!

Town: a-in-m