Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Things you see round the Ashton area

Is that the one on Wigan Rd?

Town: Stubshaw Cross

I know it is on Wigan Road but I know nothing about it - but I have often wondered.

I think it is two houses now isn't it?

It has got to be one of the biggest if not the biggest house in Ashton.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

I think you're right Karin - there's a separate entrance on the side, just to the right of the portion shown in the photograph.

I've always been intrigued by this building and would love to know more about it. My partner and I know it as "Fiona's" - this because we were crossing the top end of the drive one night, and I was being nosey (as per), when a car suddenly turned in from the main road. "Oh", I exclaimed, "it's the owner." "Who's Fiona?" he replied. We still laugh about it now. (Maybe you just had to be there...!)

Town: Ashton

Your all right it is Wigan road with no history it seems, Try this next one

Old police station, Warrington road. Now flats.

Town: AinM

Nice to see you look Jules

Jules
Old police station, Warrington road. Now flats.

When did the Police Station in Old Road close, I remember it well, as my Father was a Policeman, stationed there during the war. Remember going in there in 2000 when I was visiting home to make an inquiry, seem to remember it was only open during the daytime.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

Old road police station closed late Sept 2008 now being also converted to flats

Town: bryn

Robin, I think I remember your dad going up the Hillock to some sort of radio/police station in a police uniform in the 40s, do you remember anything about that