Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lakes from the past.

Robin, I must know you or your family if you was born at downall Green 1939 I only knew one Robin of that age,he was at school with the twins, do you remember the Blue Bell cottages, as for remembering the lake or Dam most of it had been drained by 1944 and was being filled in,Jack Shaw lived in one of them houses I'll be seeing his son next week will have a word with him about the photo

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

Hi Dougie.
I lived in Booths Brow Road until 1960 when I joined the RAF, I attended Rectory School from 1944 to 49, then went to the Central School until 1954. Remember the Blue Bell Inn next to the School and the fields across the road before they built the housing estate.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

Hi Robin. Knew that I would know you as your the only Robin I could think of at that age from Downall Green lol, how many by the name of Douglas can you think of lol,the photo of the Lake(IS)the dam at Downall Green look at the photo again as I'll flip it so it's the right way,how you remember seeing the houses I don't know as I can only remember the area after they had been knocked down,

Will be going past this week I'll take a photo's of the Dam corner it was allot bigger than you think,

This is the Dam Lake flipped the right way for you Robin looking to the farm and the mill fields
 photo bfu33q3n-1.jpg

This is one I had showing the new bridge you can also see the new wall that would cuts the corner off
 photo DSCI0038.jpg

I give up - name the four lakes from the past

There's five and I,m not telling you as you maybe living on one of them lol, ask any O.A.P from Ashton as it looks like there's none on here

Dougie.

I seem to remember in the late 1950s when I would walk to Garswood Station to get the train to St Helens, there was a lake/pond between Victoria Road and the rail line where people used to fish. Looking at a 'Multymap' image, this has gone and there seems to be a "Strange Road" there now, what was this lake/pond called.

Robin.

Yes that's one of them (A pat on the back Robin lol) it was called the "Tile Sheds" it's grassed over that one and used as a playing field, Put your thinking cap on you should know the other one,------ A walk to school--------

Town: Ashton

Thank you Dougie.

I don't know if you are including 'The Dam', even though I never remember it as a lake.

Robin.

Re: Lakes from the passed

peterp. nicol mere was not backfilled, it was just filled in.

dougie. learn how to spell past.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.

Re: Lakes from the past

JimmyH, there's always one, even my so called mate wouldn't pull me up for that, hope you cross swords with him sometime anyway next time you see him if it's how I think it is, tell him it's Norh Ashton not St-Helens

So we can put this thread to bed the Water Holes that was filled in,
Jubilee Park,
Skitters Wood,
TheDam at Downall Green,
Tile Sheds at Garswood,
The meddow off Low Bank Road,

Thanks Dougie.

My mum said a lot of the land where the Mucklow is built was very boggy when it was farmland but no lake there - she said it got so boggy that the cows couldn't be put out to graze.

I know of two houses on the Mucklow with problems with flooding. One has a pump under the floorboards going 24/7 !! It must cost a fortune in eleci !!

dougie he said that's the last time he leaves you a pint in the bowling club.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.

Jemmy you can always leave one behind the bar for an old B----r like me

What ever you do don't go to with him to--- his social club thats if your going

I think this is a pic of the water at Nicol Rd.

[/URL]

Town: Hut