Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Found it to late

--------------Sorry I didn't know about this-------------------------

In the latter stages of the Forum pressures from members of a political organisation calling itself the 'Community Action Party' combined with a breakaway campaigning group adopting the name 'Friends of Ashton' led to a decline in its activities, and, in the absence of members willing to take office, the Chair, Jack Sudworth, proposed its dissolution, which was agreed at the sixth annual general meeting held on 27th January 2004. This ended seven years of regular monthly meetings open to all people of Ashton, allowing the free sharing of information and participation in the development of the town. Hard to create, easy to destroy.

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

Re: Found it to late

Don't worry about that Dougie...
Great posts from you and interesting too.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Was in Garswood Hall Bowling Club last Sunday night and a friend told me to have a look, but didn't tell me no one posts on the forum and that the rest of the site was shut down, just wait till I see him to-night,

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

Site might get going again if more people are posting. :-)

Town: Stubshaw Cross

This is a good forum when people post on it. It seems transient sometimes it is busy with lots of people commenting and sometimes it is quiet.

I spoke to Spectre and Scoop who both post on Wigan World and I told them that if they started posting on this forum in addition to WW then it would be good to have interaction.

I think your posts on here Dougie have created a bit of interest so it might get people posting. The site certainly isn't closed so keep posting.

Stick with it Dougie. Your photos and posts are good and a give us a reason to look at this site more often.

Phil, As a new comer to your site I can see why the forum went down hill with people like JemmyH posting, his first post to me was only to pull me up on my spelling, Is their an ignore button on here

JemmyH, Remember we all have a cross to carry in life, the mesure of a man is how he carries that cross

Town: Ashton

Dougie if you click on a persons name you can get up all posts by that person ,read some of them and then you know why people stopped posting

Town: bryn

Peter, I've looked at a few of his posts but didn't see him calling anyone more like not agreeing with things they was saying, don't know why because I could understand were they was coming from

Link

Check out how to identify one.

Town: Hut

Myrtle,I've looked at your link thanks for posting it, as you seem your prepared to help others on the site thanks,

This is another good link I found of yours Here as I was born in Downall Green and found it very interesting to read, Thanks again

Hi Dougie.

Thank you for the link to Holy Trinity Church, I remember it well as I sang in the Choir there between the late 40s to late 50s, when Harry Lowe was the Organist and Choirmaster, his son Frank was the same age as me and also sang in the Choir. My Father was in the Choir at St Peters Church, Bryn, and this was carried on in my family as both my Grandsons became Head Choirister in Rochester Cathedral.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

So Robin, you should remember these two photo's form the past
 photo dwl4r1ix.jpg

photo mhwq3gqa.jpg

Hi Dougie.

I think that was taken in the late 50s, after my time in the choir, as I had joined the Boys Brigade by then. The old Rectory School in the background of the photo of the choir, led by Harry Lowe the choirmaster, I think that Frank Lowe is the third from the last in the left row. The other photo is of Rector Hall, I remember that he drove a battered old Austin Seven that would never have passed an MOT as it had large holes in the floor that you could see the road through. The man behind Rector Hall could be Mr Foster, who was the School Headmaster. The photo is before 1961, as that was the year Rector Hall died.

Robin.

Robin, Sorry for not posting a reply to your post about the old photo's I uploaded of Liverpool Road and Ashton on the other thread,

You may have already found WW if not just click this link and have a good look round,

Hi Dougie.

Thank you for the link to WW, spent a very interesting evening on there, even found a picture of me in short trousers on the Downall Green site. Tried to register on the site but it did not want to play ball, will have another go sometime. Did you live in Coronation street, surname begin with Y.

Robin.