Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: star hotel

This is the Star Hotel and the darts team that was on Wigan Road, it is now standing somewhere in America like it did on Wigan Road, as an old English pub imported from England

photo 1245785329.jpg

Do you know any of them, I'm on it lol
 photo 1245785363.jpg

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

Hi Dougie.

A long time since I lived in A in M, I was born in Downall Green 74 years ago yesterday. Regarding the Star Hotel, was this building on Wigan Road near the junction with Nicol Road, across from the Grammar School, if it was, I think that to the left of it was a large house that was, or became a Doctors surgery, my Grandparents lived in the terrace of houses on the Bryn side of the Hotel and had a large allotment at the rear which backed onto Nicol Mere. In the early 1950s I attended Ashton Secondary School with the son of the then owner of the Hotel, his name was Causey. On a different point, (the Past Lakes), I would not have called The Dam on Downall Green Road a lake, having played there many times over 60 years ago, it was more of a boggy patch on Millingford Brook where people sometimes dumped their rubbish, the sharp bend to the right in the road was always known as Dam Corner.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

Robin the first part of your post is all correct but it would have been better if you had put this part on the lake thread,
--quote--
On a different point, (the Past Lakes), I would not have called The Dam on Downall Green Road a lake, having played there many times over 60 years ago, it was more of a boggy patch on Millingford Brook where people sometimes dumped their rubbish, the sharp bend to the right in the road was always known as Dam Corner.

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

Re: Lakes from the past.

Dougie.
I would not have called The Dam on Downall Green Road a lake, having played there many times over 60 years ago, it was more of a boggy patch on Millingford Brook where people sometimes dumped their rubbish, the sharp bend to the right in the road was always known as Dam Corner.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone