Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where in Aston

Your wrong on the first photo, why do you think it's to nice for Ashton in Makerfield

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

The first photo is of Georges Pond

Town: ashton

2nd photo is of Liverpool road opposite the church.

I'dgo with Frank on both of those.

@Dougie
No Dougie, I'd don;t think it's too nice just that A-in-m gives alot more space to consider.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Re: Where in Ashton-in-Makerfield

Try this, just giving it a try to get people looking first, then talking about the little township of Ashton-in-Makerfield again

photo 0mqza41i-1.jpg

Another here from my collection
 photo 01hs8a80-3.jpg

First is garden centre downhill green road second is Wigan road Bath Springs on right

Town: Ashton

frank lee you are wrong about the 1st one

Town: bryn

I would have said the garden centre at Downhall Green but wouldn't have got the second even though I have spent a minuite or two in the Bath Springs.

Never seen the a pic before with those house there in the foreground. What year was that Dougie?

It's in Rectory Road,North Ashton,the first photo

Ian, I took that photo about 1980, I've two other photo's of the houses across the road but I didn't take them, as a new comer to the site I don't wont to fill it with photo's

The photo's I upload don't use any KBs off this site, I only upload the link to the photo's off my storage site

Dougie That's what i meant its the garden center on rectory road The owner is Kevin Duffy 97 Rectory Road, Ashton-In-Makerfield,that's what i call downhall green and the photo is in the garden center.
peterp wish i was a betting man. The garden center is opposite the old Blue Bell Pub.on rectory road.Rectory Nurseries 97 Rectory Road, Ashton-In-Makerfield, Ashton in Makerfield, Wigan, WN4 0QD

Frank Lee on your 1st post about the garden centre you stated it was on DownHILL Green Road but then you correct it to the proper place Downall Green/North Ashton

Very sorry Peterp we cant all be perfectionist, i knew and others what i meant didn't see your answers, you never made a spelling mistake on any of your posts, once again you want to cause trouble on this site with your political correctness, its people like you that have stopped people writing posts on this site with your nit picking. Must have a sad life!!!Its not on rectory road its in the Garden center to be politically correct again sorry to any decent readers of this site for the nit picking this person takes pleasure in. Just like when he corrected a post that he said the three sisters was in Bryn Road and not Locket Road so hes not always RIGHT.

frank lee I don't pull people up for spelling mistakes or get pedantic about which road the three sisters is on(you must have me mistaken with someone else )(Jemmy h and Myrtle creamcake page2 coop thread) all has I was saying is the garden centre is NOT on Downall green road has you posted but on downall green estate and if you look proper I led my post with a smile not a scowl.Please feel free to click on my name and read all the comments I have posted on this forum and then print any where I have ridiculed any one on this forum

Frank Lee please see my post of 31st Dec 2010

peterp
Frank Lee please see my post of 31st Dec 2010

To save people looking PeterP your post for everyone to see

does it matter if its not spelt correctly as long as message gets across we are not school pupils who stand in corner because of spelling mistakes.If it was text spelling or gobbly **** then I would be bothered,my wife will not send messages until she has spell checked them.Its over 40yrs ago since I left school and I have managed to convey the written word so people can read what I have written ok,may not of been corrct spelling or grammar but it is readable

dougie said this - "Its over 40yrs ago since I left school" .

aye and the rest. more like over 60 years you owd bu66er.

and I have it on good authority off a mate of yours that your 1st picture is of a nursery in st helens.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.

JimmyH, Would you read my last post again please, are all the thread so you get your posts right

Today looks like they've still left its winter coat on and who can blame them

That's my pony. You last photographed her on Gerard Street on Christmas Eve.

Karin, I were reading one of your posts from way back was you related to Roy Hope by any chance we was at school together in 1951/55, he lived on the farm that you was talking about in the 50s think it was more of a pig farm then

Yes Roy Hope is my Uncle he died when I was a baby so I can't remember him a lot.
My grandad and g grandad farmed dairy, poultry and arable. It only became a pig farm after they left.

To continue the theme. Where's this?

Town: Hut

Please Miss,Please Miss I know, you pass them as you walk to the A49 at --------, but does anyone else know before I tell you lol,

Is it the Crippens Cottages near Bryn Hall Farm?

Om the road between Bamfurlong and Landgate.

I agree with Karin, I think its Crippens cottages on Bryn Gates Lone.

Whereabouts was this then?

Is that in Stubshaw at the entrance to the club?

Andrede thats a good old photo that I don't remember, but I think I've just walked passed it as it is today lol,was there a farm on the right of that photo in the 50/60s, I don't think "Ian" is right

By the way as any thread gets bigger to get to the last "New Post" just click the END key on your keyboard

Dougie, I asked the question whereabouts was it because I genuinely dont know! I have been trying to get some old family slides onto my computer and this was in there. If there are any more of local interest: buildings and such, I will put them on.

Seeing as it says Bryn Gates and the road seems to slope Im guessing it was somewhere near the brew into Bryn Gates or the Bonk?

Ian maybe right, I was thinking of the building on Bolton Road across from Captains Lane, that's now the Doctors surgery and a house but I now know I was wrong

The co-op was 5 doors down from Bryn Hall Pub on the corner of 1st street.

This is meant to be another photo of Bryn Gates co-op but they do not match. Saying that, they are years apart.

[/URL]

Town: Hut