Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Photo

Do you remember this old building on Wigan Road that was pulled down in 1958
 photo Copyof1160776744.jpg

If you would like to make any photo on here bigger,
Hold down the Ctrl button and use the scroll wheel to zoom in or out

To go back to your normal view,
Click the Ctrl button and the zero button at the same time

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

Re: Old Photo

Try this Robin
 photo ashton3b.jpg

Hi Dougie.

Your photo of the Dam Corner is much more recognizable now that you have transposed it, I wonder when it was taken, the current photo of the bridge with its new wall is also good, don't think that the green fence on the left is as nice as the old high stone wall, the inside of the bend also had a similar high stone wall, does the track from where you took the recent photo still lead up to the farm. I think that the latest picture is of Cunliffs Farm in Brocstedes Road. I do not remember a Dougie, sorry.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

Dougie.

Having had a closer look at the latest old picture, there seems to be houses in the background on the left, that is not possible. I have to therefore withdraw my answer.

Robin.

Robin, This photo is now the entrance to the farm, I don't know if you look on google earth are not but just in case you don't I've put a link on under the photo, after opening the link you will see the farm as you walk down the hill to your old house,
For anyone that's never used it before just click the road in front of you with your mouse and click both left and right to get a better look at the houses on either side
 photo DSCI1683-1.jpg

Click here and have a look round
After opening go full screen by clicking top right corner on the photo

Hi Dougie.

I was right in the first place. The picture must have been taken in the early 1900s, because the houses that you can see in the distance to the left of the farmhouse would have been at the top of Rectory Road, and in my time would have been hidden by the trees in the graveyard, if the photographer had moved a little to the left he would have got the tower of Holy Trinity Church in the picture. I think that the new entrance to the farm was built in the 70s or 80s, after I left. The old entrance to the farm in the original picture was about 5 yards along Brocstedes Road on the left, now hidden by the high hedge. I remember that in the late 1950s, at the bottom of the hill towards Downall Green, where the road crosses Millingford Brook, there was a bad accident, when a bus travelling towards Ashton crashed down the banking to its left, finishing upside down in the stream, quite a few people were injured. The Google images are interesting, in that, when I looked at my old house, I could see my former next door neighbour talking to some people in the street.

Robin.

Yes Stan and Minnie they are both still with us, this is a photo I took of Stan on the left two years ago aged 94, can anyone put a name to the other one he is aged 86,

photo DSCI1530-1.jpg

Dougie.

Thank you for the photo of Stan, looks great for his age, always pop in to see him when I visit Ashton. You seem to know me, should I know you.

Robin.

Dougie his Initials are T A and his relative is on WW has Suesa

Town: bryn

Yes it is Peter,I still them both in Ashton going their shopping see if anyone else comes up with his name

Robin, you should know the names of the people on this photo, I knew you before you met any of the other three at school, From the left Keith Fairhurst,Walter Stanley, Dougie ------,Jimmy Edwards, (we are all 73/74 now)

photo PICT0706-1.jpg

No one as put an answer to the first photo I uploaded on this thread, so I take it one one ever saw this place before it was pulled down

Town: Ashton