Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: electronic cigarettes

Surely it has got to better than smoking by a long way otherwise it would never have come about. Both for the smoker and the people around them.

It's hard enough to give up anyway without the doubters so keep going Chris.

Town: S

You have been on them since Feb? You need to be careful that you are not exchanging one addiction/habit for another. I know a friend who has been chewing that gum stuff for 2 years and counting.

Town: AIM

i asked my doctor about that as i think i have, he said "as long as your not smoking dont worry about it" and its cheap as chips, i spend £5.99 every 10 days and £20 every 3 months for parts, when i smoked i was spending £14 a day and the price of cigs has gone up since then!

Town: a-in-m

Just followed the link Kim posted. This was a study of 32 individuals (hardly a fully powered study). They didn't disclose the funder of the study (could it have been the makers of Nicorette chewing gum?). They also failed to disclose the brand of electronic cigarette they tested - there are hundreds of these on the market from the £10 cigarette you can order from your Sunday supplement to the kits you can buy for around £70-£80.

So, not a conclusive study at all.

Town: Ashton

Must agree that a sample study of 32 is not really representative, but surely there will be other studies done and as Kim says “time will tell”.

Must agree with Amos too Chris. If you are genuine about trying to quit smoking you will need to change the habit of smoking and beat your addiction to nicotine.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

as long as im not smoking its not an issue, not for me anyway.
i dont drink so i need one vice.

Town: a-in-m