Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A joke too far

I was saddened to hear that the nurse involved in the hoax call about the Duchess of Cambridge has been found dead -presumably taking her own life. It was an unfunny "joke" in the first place . I wonder how the Aussie press and the radio station responsible for the hoax will react.

Town: AIM

Re: A joke too far

I have to disagree, Amos. The way the 2 radio presenters have been castigated and demonised by the news media over this is, to my mind, appalling and extremely hypocritical. For those (and I suspect the majority) who didn't hear the item in full, it began with the presenters expressing their sympathy for the Duchess of Cambridge and wishing her well. They then launched into a very funny routine in the well-established comedy tradition of poking fun at the royals and other establishment figures. (Remember 'Spitting Image', anyone?) As they've said in their recent statement, they never expected to be put through to the relevant nursing unit and still less to be given any information beyond what -thanks to the minute-by-minute coverage provided by the massed ranks of journalists camped outside the hospital- was already in the public domain. The joke would still have worked regardless of any such information being given. The hospital must bear ultimate responsibility for its employees' indiscretion and failure to provide adequate training and counselling for them after the event.

Are any of the characters involved from Ashton?

Maybe it's me. I always disliked those TV programmes which played tricks on ordinary folks and made them look foolish.

Town: AIM

i think the people that she worked with have to have some blame in it, after all we have all had the micky taken out of us at work at some point, she must have had some real issues in her life and it pushed her over the edge.

Town: a-in-m

Seems you were spot on there Chris. This morning's news says her 'suicide' note blames the hospital staff too. Sad though, that things can build up to such a crisis level.

Town: Ashton

yet the radio dj's still dont have jobs? what a stupid world we live in.

Town: a-in-m