Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another charity shop !!!

Wowee!! Another Charity shop opening. Apparently "Mind" has taken a ten year lease on the old Argos shop, now a newly opened Textile shop, whose lease unfortunately was for only six. What I don't understand is how can charity, relying on public goodwill, afford a ten year lease? People must be buying a lot of second hand clothes! This will be all that's available soon - 5 charity shops. Pie shops and Charity shops - great.

Town: ashton

Re: Another charity shop !!!

It seems to be a national trend - retail outlets are closing while the number of charity shops are increasing. I go on a few 2 day breaks and have noticed that high streets in various towns have quite a few charity shops. Still 5 shops does seem to be a lot for a town the size of AIM. Preferable I suppose to another pizza/fast food outlet.

Town: AIM

Re: Another charity shop !!!

I think a lot more people donate than years ago. Bag collections and greater awareness about the environment and recycling no doubt helps. I welcome them, as they often have some new or near new stuff for a few pound.

Some on the other hand, outside of Ashton seem more like businesses than charitires. There's one in Leigh that's like walking into Next with similar prices too.

Town: Hut