Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ashton traffic.

I agree with everything you have written Mary.

I have witnessed several close misses at this junction.

I think it is ESSENTIAL that there is a pedestrian green man crossing here just like the one outside Barclays Bank and Robin Hood.

It is a terrible junction to navigate on foot.

Like many motorists, I avoid Ashton in the morning and evening "rush" by detouring along Lowbank Road, Camp Road, Tithebarn Hillock, and Mill Lane down to the East Lancs Road and eventually Haydock Island. All the extra miles do already, amazingly, save time (if not fuel?) compared to queuing in town. Those proposed extra pedesstrian phases, added to the 'lights in question, would totally stop the traffic flow through town. Short of demolishing a few empty shops to re-work the junction, we'll always be stuck with the problem - another bypass (in addition to the M6 Ashton Bypass!) being impractical too. Lollipop crossings everywhere should only be recruited from experienced drivers (idealistic, I know), but are maybe the only ongoing solution?

Town: Ashton

i must say that i crossed at that point every day for 20 years when i lived in townfield ave and never had a problem, as i was told to stop look and listen! People just dont look now, its a road, its going to have traffic, it has a lolly pop woman when kids go to and from school, just open your eyes for god's sake!

Town: a-in-m

If all drivers stopped when the amber light came on instead of racing the lights on red it would give people time to cross, but as we all know they don't so the other lights change to green before you can cross

Town: Ashton