Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Police Elections - Moan

I voted but only on the last minute and on one point only.

I wanted to vote but didn't see the point if I knew nothing about it
and I didn't have the time to read up on "How to be a ....".

I voted really against the possibility of the privatisation of parts of the police force.

I do think that the lack of turn out was because of lack of info. and not knowing what the whole process was for.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

For the first time since becoming eligible to vote I chose not to in these particular elections. My reasons included many of those cited by other non-voters: lack of readily-accessible information about the role, candidate selection process and candidate policies. But mainly a belief that the scheme is just a ruse by the Conservative/LibDem government to (a) further reduce local government powers and(b) avoid its own responsibilities for ensuring an effective and adequately-resourced police service.

Town: Ashton

Well I got my reply - only 72 people voted at RL Hughes - what a disgrace to disrupt the largest primary school in Ashton for such a waste of time !

I asked if the council would compensate parents for lost time and not surprisingly the answer was no !

They have said the Head has asked for the use of RL Hughes to be reconsidered - too little too late as far as I am concerned. I have been against the closure of schools for a long time and indeed posted on this point a while ago and was vilified by someone who was obviously a teacher about them not being baby sitters and i restate my answer that they are not teachers if there are no pupils teach!

Denise

Town: Ashton

Thank you Denise-it would be interesting to know the overall cost of these votes.

Town: AIM

Other suitable building close to RL Hughes to be considered for polling stations are Grey Road Diamond Club, Ashton Library and Ashton Town Hall on Bryn Street. All have disabled access so would all comply with DDA. All would be better than closing the School.