Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Georges Pond

Indeed over a long period of time there have been ongoing problems of anti-social behaviour at this pond.

However,there have been issues in the past two summers with depleted oxygen levels in George's Pond, related to algal blooms. The blooms are caused by the increased nutrient levels in the water, associated with the large semi-resident Mallard population which is attracted there by a regular supply of bread. The Carp in the pond have been among the first fish to suffer from the drop in oxygen levels. In 2010 the Council had to run aeration equipment at the pond, loaned by the EA. It seems that the pond is no longer suitable for supporting the population of Carp and the fish will benefit from being transferred to more suitable waters.

The Council do not know the date yet on which the Carp removal will take place. However, it is important that the carp are removed from the pond to ensure their long term survival.

I hope this explains the main reason the carp are being removed.

Re: Georges Pond

Don't forget to wear your WELLIES when you go to Georges Pond, Sir, or you might get your feet wet!

EyUp - I can feel a song coming on ....... (to the tune of 'how much is that doggy in the window') ........

oooooooooooh, ...... I must have a pair of Ash's Wellies, the ones with the rubbery soles! etc.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.