Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SLOPS AWAY

Only time will tell if its save to put household food waste onto our fields has compost along with the human waste which is already spread on the fields.Has for greenhouse gases is there more generated if it is buried or rotting away on the surface?

Town: bryn

To be fair, Alan, the Council did give plenty of warning that these containers -I believe the official term is "caddies"- were on the way. They were mentioned in the last 2 or 3 issues of Borough Life and on the new bin collection calendars. I think residents also had the option (via a dedicated phone line) to opt out of having one. In my area only one caddy seems to have been left out in the street -where it did eventually fall victim to vandals or perhaps a passing car.

That said I'm no apologist for the WMBC and personally am doubtful about the practicality of having these things in the house until they're full (a mecca for flies etc), and then emptying the contents into the green wheelie for eventual composting and distribution to farmers. As a household we generate very little food waste anyway. I've already found an alternative use for my caddy - as a handy container for my spare packets of seed and small garden tools.

Town: Ashton

greenhouse gas! really!? as if the food wasnt going to rot anyway!

Town: the real world