Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DUAL CARRIAGEWAY THROUGH FLASHES?

“Air pollution from exhaust fumes kills more than twice as many people as road accidents,” The Daily Telegraph has reported. The paper said that around 1,850 people die in traffic accidents annually, but that each year over 5,000 people will die as a result of heart attacks and lung cancer caused by vehicle exhaust fumes.

Yet some people are happy to allow our Victorian road system to continue, bringing pollution to our doorstep. Condemn the next generation to more chronic illnesses, as well as the above, if you feel easy about it, or accept we must do more to seperate polluting traffic from people even if it means a road through the flashes.
Yes Alan is being Alan, I have no problem with that.

Town: Br/Ash

The CPRE did studies on three bypasses

1. the A27 Polegate Bypass, East Sussex;
2. the A34 Newbury Bypass, Berkshire;
and
3. the M65 Blackburn Southern Bypass,
Lancashire.

Not pretty reading.
leave the flashes alone

Town: Wigan

Alan "seperate polluting traffic from people",

Do you mean just moving the pollution onto someone elses doorstep?

Town: The Ancient Kingdom of Stubshaw Cross

Alan " The same people say no new jobs are created, without offering any real facts and figures."

Have you been offered any "real facts and figures" about how many local jobs will be created?

Job creation red herring as usual.

Time and time again when road expansion has been proposed we are told how nature will be ruined.
Can the armchair experts tell me the damage done by all these roads.
The actual flashes are an example of how nature adapts.
Many parts of our motorway network are now appreciated as a unique habitat of wild life.
As for no jobs, we are all fighting our own corner and quoting the "facts" that pertain to our own "arguments" .
So, no road through the flashes, what is the alternative? Public Transport, on what?
Rail so long as it is not HS2, etc etc.

The whole point of a road there is it is not on someones door step. Are you accusing me of NYMBYism?

Emissions from motor vehicles dominate cancer risk The most comprehensive study of urban toxic air pollution ever undertaken shows that motor vehicles and other mobile sources of air pollution are the predominant source of cancer-causing air pollutants in Southern California. Overall, the study showed that motor vehicles and other mobile sources accounted for about 90% of the cancer risk from toxic air pollution, most of which is from diesel soot (70% of the cancer risk). Industries and other stationary sources accounted for the remaining 10%. The study showed that the highest risk is in urban areas where there is heavy traffic and high concentrations of population and industry.

I am not saying this is responsible but there are three cases of cancer within 100 yards of my house. I myself have cancer for the second time and am waiting to have my bladder removed.
Enjoy the flashes!!

Where ever they start a new project there is the promise of xxx number of jobs.In reality very few new jobs are created.Most of the jobs are taken by people who are already in employement(from planners to security)and just move from one place to another.If a site is constructed then a company who already have the skills do the job then skilled office/warehouse staff etc are probable moved from another site to the new site (using grants has bait)but very few people out of 1000 quoted are freshly trained and get long term jobs.

Town: bryn

A good point is made about new jobs training etc. Maybe if we are not necessarily against it we should object unless at least 50% of the jobs are for local people youths who get trained etc.

Town: Ashton

Good luck Mark.

DAVE WALKER

VIC THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME NO ABOUT JAMIE HOPE YOU ARE feeling ALOT BETTER AS WE ALL MISS YOU VERY MUCH AT THE THREE SISTERS DAVE

Town: BRYN ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD

Re: DAVE WALKER

I'm with Alan, lets not stand in the way of progress.

Re: DAVE WALKER

I recently discovered that there is a town in Derbyshire called Clowne.

I feel compelled to post a comment on this forum, I can't believe the cynicism that I'm reading here. If you really want to be taken seriously then try being constructive and coming up with some reasoned arguments instead of just trying to shoot things down before anyone is given a chance. I love the flashes and the adjoing canal paths and regularly use the area, but we all have to recognise that Wigan has many problems (conjestion, housing, employment to name a few) some of which would be helped by this development. Having looked at the plan, I believe the area affected by this development would not have an overwhelming impact on the recreational area and would infact bring back into use an unused section. We should support people who want to bring some investment into the area instead of always trying to chase them out of town.

Town: Ashton