Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Olympic Torch

I do think the reason it is not to pass through here is because it would take so long.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

The route of the Olympic torch was decided by LOCOG (London Organising Committee Olympic Games)- It couldn't be altered by the Council or anybody else.

LOCOG decided the exact route and when it changed from vehicle to torch bearer mode.

I am disappointed that it won't go through Ashton

Seems that is same route used by people going from Lands End to John O'Groats - those will be simply taking the shortest way from Warrington to Wigan, and not seeking spectators.

Town: Ashton

50 odd years ago i was a pupil at the British School in Wigan Road were the old peoples home is now and i can remember coming out onto the road infront of the school to watch a Lady Doctor who was one of the first people to do the walk from North to South and she followed the A49 all the way down so were your walkkers were from i dont know but its not the fastest or quickest route the A49 was.Dr Barbara Moore-Pataleewa of London, a health and fitness enthusiast, in 1960 was the lady.

You're right about walkers and some cyclists - Ian Botham and others have come through the town in modern times. The recent couple of (failed!) attempts by James Cracknell and partners at the non-stop tandem bike record, though, came up from the Swan at Winwick, past the Hermitage and through Golborne on a late Saturday evening (the same route the torch is taking). Maybe they knew about Ashton's traffic lights and the Saddle Junction? Both attempts were well set to break the record when they foundered up in Scotland. Is there perhaps an officially recognised route for speed records?

lets be honest here, it did not come through ashton because it would probably get nicked.

Town: ashton