Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Town Centre

Ashton has some big problems and I do appreciate that they won't be sorted out over night, but for me one of the things that would take away the pleasure of visiting the Town Centre is that old chestnut 'Traffic'.

Shop keepers are only attracted to an area when there is a decent foot fall, we do have the population but there is nothing in the centre to attract, apart from pubs and pizza shops, wasnt there a debate recently about giving local councils the powers to vito too many of these types of shops because it has been proven that they actually put people off.

I am at the moment facinated with 'Haydock Lodge' and yesterday tried to trace the old foot print according to the 1849 map and actually found an old track that hadnt been used for years. I ended up in Golborne in Helen Street and asked a gentleman who lived in one of the cottages about the name 'Hells Nook' which was on the map. This led to a lovely conversation, him telling me about that area and loaning me a book, which was facinating and gave wonderful details about our Town and its origins. I just loved this quote from the author where he suggests that a place without history is like a person who has lost his memory.

Whilst I am very sad that the locally elected councillors allowed petty disputes and massive ego's which in turn allowed a majority to just slip through their fingers, I am hoping that the new councillor will do as he promised and really work to try and turn around some of the problems that we have.

I would like to know if the problem of 'traffic' in our Town Centre has ever been raised in the council chambers as an issue?

If they can manage to cut off access to Wigans main street for markets and the like why cannot they same idea be looked into for our centre. I for one would love to see a farmers market bringing local produce to our centre which was one of the regeneration ideas put forward recently?

Sorry this thread should have been on the Town Centre one but couldnt get it to accept?

Town: Ashton in Makerfield

Re: Town Centre

Nothing will be done in Ashton, as Wigan ignores us and have scuppered all previous schemes.

Town: Ashton-in-Makerfield

Re: Town Centre

Your optimism knows no bounds Paul.:) But I do agree, we appear to be at the butt end of the borough and seem to be deemed only for industrial units and traffic tolerance.

Town: The Ancient Kingdom of Stubshaw Cross