Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Parade

I must write that this is my personal opinion, although I am a member of an Ashton Church this is my personal opinion and not the Church's opinion.

The Churches in Ashton run several clubs for toddlers, children, Youth, elderly. The Churches do all this voluntarily for no pay whatsoever and for the good of the Community as a whole.

Some of the Clubs that I know of that are run by local Churches voluntarily for the whole community: -
Salvation Army - Thursday night Kidz Club, Thursday Toddler Group am and pm, Wednesday elderly luncheon club.
Cave Browne - CAMEO toddler group
St Lukes & IM - Monday Youth Club, Tuesday Toddler group
St Thomas - Friday night Youth Club Drop In, Wednesday Weenies Toddler group
Bryn Baptist - Countdown weekly Club for school age children.
Also all the uniformed Clubs - Brownies, Guides, Brigade, Scouts, Brigade all run by Churches.
Sorry if I missed any Church out these are just the ones I know about.

All the Churches do this for the good of the community - if Churches didn't do these clubs then kids would have no where to go and could be causing a nuisance for the Council and Police on the streets.

Therefore why can't the Police or Council or whoever refuses to foot the bill for a Walking Day say "Yes the Churches do a lot for the Community so let's Police their Walking Day for them?"

I am really disappointed that words actually fail me!!!

Maybe something can be done Karin.

Town: The Ancient Kingdom of Stubshaw Cross

You wont see the local councillors or M.P. out fighting for this as its not much of a headline graber for them. The problem as i have said in previous postings is they either dont attens the councill meetings and if the do they dont stand up for the people of Ashton unless it affects them personally THEY DONT FIGHT FOR ASHTON AT ALL. Yet they gave money to a few individuals in a Choir who were mostly from Wigan need i say anymore!

Town: Ashton

i have lived in ashton all of my life, and i like all of the people i know, cant stand walking day! If it was not in the road i would have no problem with it, but it just holds up traffic for anyone that happens to be working or just going out for the day! get rid of it, people under 60 just dont want it!

Town: a-in-m

Point taken, Chris. I can't claim to be a huge fan of the walking day either - but it's only once a year and we have very few events and venues in Ashton where we can come together as anything like a community. The funfair on the marketplace also comes in for much criticism -generally from the older folk this time- and I would say that this too is something worth fighting for if it ever comes under threat. Once lost these traditions tend to be lost forever, and we all wind up the poorer as a result. A bit more toleration on both sides of the generation gap -and, as Karin points out, some tangible recognition by the powers that be of the social role played by the churches- wouldn't go amiss.

Town: Ashton

For whatever reason Nigel Ash and the new councillor for Ashton are using Brighter Borough money so this years Walking Day can go ahead.
Nigel knows my politcal views, but well done Nigel for waiting until after the election before announcing this, decency like that is admirable.
THANK YOU

Town: Br/Ash

I agree. It would have been quite embarrassing for local councillors if the money had been raised elsewhere... such as... maybe local community groups chipping in together :).

Town: The Ancient Kingdom of Stubshaw Cross