Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Growing Old A Special Thank You

Smetimes One Has to Stop And Think.
Here is what I thought today

Twenty six years ago I was in the middle of nine months of treatment for cancer at The Christie. On my fortieth Birthday I was half way in between five day Chemotherapy treatments. If there was a nasty drug they were giving it to me, baldness and sickness and lack of concentration were a few of the side effects. A week later I went back in to start another five days on "The sick Machines" as someone called the drips. Lorreta the sister came to me and said we have some good news for you Alan. your cancer has stopped spreading. February 27th was the half way point between treatments and my fortieth birthday. life for me truly did begin at forty. A very special Thank You to A VERY SPECIAL PLACE, THE CHRISTIE HOSPITAL. I owe you the last twenty six years. Without you wonderful people I had SIX MONTHS TO LIVE. GOD BLESS YOU AL

Town: Br/Ash

Re: Growing Old A Special Thank You

Nice one Alan.
Makes you stop and think doesn't it!

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Only 3yrs since my operation for testicular cancer and radiotherapy Take every day has a bonus thanks to Christies

Town: bryn

I remember a nervous looking young man in outpatients at Christies. I was on about my seventh year check up.It was obvious it was his first visit. As you do in there I asked him where his was, he pointed to his groin. I said oh you have only one ball, you are the odd one out with two in here. It is seven years since I was treated. He burst out laughing with the rest of his familly. In fact until I stopped going for check ups after twenty plus years I never saw a miserable face there.

My Uncle Roy was only 30 years old when he died with testicular cancer. That was in the early 1970's. Since then greater advances have been made with treatment. My Uncle Roy left two small children under five years of age.
Thank God that more treatment is now available.

I was especially fortunate as testicular cancer is termed , "A young Man's Cancer", and I was forty when I had it. If I had it at the usual age my chances of survival would have been very small. There sre two types, a teretoma or a semi noma, I had a semi noma that don't usually spread,needless to say, mine did.

Alan