Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speed Bumps Windsor Road, Park View

Does anyone know why Speed Bumps have been placed on these roads?

Is it due to people speeding in this area, have children from the school been knocked down?

I know a child that was knocked down but I think they got knocked down on Warrington Road!

What may be more beneficial is stopping all the parents cramming into Park View, as you cannot see the kids from all the parked cars. Then why have they been placed on Windsor Road? Cars speed down Princess Road, York Road and Heath Road. So why is it just done on Windsor Road and Park View (ok Flora street has some slightly difference ones).

Or is it due to accidents due to people turning into Weavermill Estate. I would think stopping cars parking on the road would be more benefitical here, although stopping people parking outside their houses would be a bit strong.

Town: Ashton

Re: Speed Bumps Windsor Road, Park View

Consultation on these speed bumps(see community)was started 2years ago and part of the reason was the parking plus the amount of cars using these roads to get to the gerard centre car park

Town: bryn

peterp
Consultation on these speed bumps(see transport)was started 2years ago and part of the reason was the parking plus the amount of cars using these roads to get to the gerard centre car park
sorry for putting community

Those bumps are an absolute pain. Cars parked all over them. Won't stop anyone using Windsor to get to the Gerrard Centre - who is to tell drivers which route to take anyway? Windsor is the obvious route to take if coming from Haydock Island. I'd rather work my way over 7 or 8 bumps than sit through 10 minutes of traffic and lights to get there via Princess Road.

DanH
Those bumps are an absolute pain. Cars parked all over them. Won't stop anyone using Windsor to get to the Gerrard Centre - who is to tell drivers which route to take anyway? Windsor is the obvious route to take if coming from Haydock Island. I'd rather work my way over 7 or 8 bumps than sit through 10 minutes of traffic and lights to get there via Princess Road.

It isn't obvious to me.

It's because of people like you using it as rat run why the bumps have been installed.

Thanks!

Re, "... using it as a rat run ...".

Don't forget. It's a public road, open at both ends for two-way traffic. Motorists, on paying their licence fee, are entitled to use roads like that during the course of their driving from a to b.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield

If it was practable for off road parking i would have thought the council would have done this(like on wentworth rd estate)or put the proverbial yellow lines.Dont forget although there may be a safety issue with parked cars they also slow traffic down .If the road was clear then the speed idiots could go faster knowing there is no metal obstruction(a parked car)in front of them to slow them down

I went along a road in Haydock last week and my exhaust scraped on four out of six road humps.
Today, at 5.30, I went from Westhoughton to Hindley along Wigan Road. The 'keep left' signs in the middle of the road, on their own little islands, are so dirty that they are impossible to see. They are an accident waiting to happen. As are the kerbs which protrude into the middle of the road just before painted-on traffic islands.

These deliberate obstructions are dangerous and will cause accidents. They should be outlawed.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield

No half measures with those speed bumps in Haydock.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Hey,

you should be pleased they are not of the original specification - they were meant to be full width bumps every few houses, all the way round windsor rd...

campaigning from windsor rd residents (2 - 3 in particular) gaining signatures of many of the residents compromised them into what they are now.

still a waste of money, although it was paid for by the company that made the new houses.

Town: Ashton