Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boardmans

Closing Down. Very sad to see. I used to get my Farah trousers from there in the 1980's.

Town: Warrington (ex Ashton)

Re: Boardmans

Good shop and nice people. I hear it's going to be converted in to a restaurant soon :)

Town: Ashton-In-Makerfield

Sorry to hear of this, always looked into the shop when I visited home. In the late 1950s, Sam Boardman and I were in the Royal Observer Corps together when we held our meetings in Upholland Grammar School.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

Is this Ashton's oldest surviving shop?
Or business of any kind?

There's a tanning salon that dates back to the early 1900s.

Town: Ashton

The oldest business in Ashton is surely to be a pub/hotel.

Town: Mount Pleasant

The Deliciosa which is currently on Bryns Street is moving to Boardmans premises.
They do lovely tapas in there.

Last day tomorrow after 85 years in business, how sad, good luck to Steve the manager on his retirement.

Town: Ashton

Yes I agree, so sad that Boardmans is closing. When Calderbanks closed and it was replaced with a "Pound" shop Ashton took a backward step.
Who remembers Billingtons at the top of Gerrard Street? (showing my age I know) As a child I loved the toys displayed in the window. And the fantasic fruit display wrapped around the corner of Princess Road??