Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ashton Grammar School on Old Road

Can anyone remember the OLD building of Ashton Grammar School? I went to cansfield but we could not access what was the old building of the Grammar School. I have heard different stories of why the old part was blocked off: fire, dry rot etc

Anyone have any memories?

Re: Ashton Grammar School on Old Road

Hi Andrede.

What time frame are you referring to, when did the Central School change its name to Cansfield.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

Im not sure when the Secondary School became Cansfield, but I think the Grammar school moved to Byrchall in the mid sixties. I presume the Central School then got use of the old building, but when I was there it was blocked off apart from a classroom upstairs, a music room and a science lab downstairs.

The reason I am asking is because I have come across an old photograph of the inside of Ashton Grammar School of which I had no access. The photo has the name of William Ewart McClure on the back, as Headmaster.

1928 Map

Right click on picture and open in new tab to see larger image.

Town: Mount Pleasant