Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parking Gerard centre

After having a lovely time last Saturday out girly shopping with my daughter and eating our lunch at Wetherspoons, we unfortunately discovered a few days later a fine for £75 sent to my daughters flat. She is a student and doing an apprenticeship.
We parked on the Gerard Centre car park not having the slightest clue there was a time limit so unknowingly we went over by 45mins. We went back to see where the signs were and sure enough they were there but... high up on lamp posts. I did however notice no sign at the entrance to the car park and seeing as we are both 5ft it didn’t occur to us to look up and never in my wildest imagination would I have expected to be fined for coming into a town, parking and enjoying ourselves.
On reflection maybe we should have looked around, it never occurred to us. After chatting about it we would have much preferred to pay for parking then there would have been none of this with extortionate parking fines. As a lone parent I could not afford the fine but I could not let my daughter get into trouble so I’ve struggled to pay the fine today before they put it up to £150 or pass it on to debt collectors who in turn would prosecute sending bailiffs around... I don’t have much and we’re not in debt also I certainly don’t owe any body anything but this sort of business is bad... not only for unsuspecting people like us but the business people of Aston... It’s a real shame, no wonder towns die!
Sincerely hope this doesn’t fall on deaf ears.

Kind Regards
from a disillusioned visitor.

Town: Ashton-In-Makerfield

Re: Parking Gerard centre

I was als a victim of the fines on this car park, however I was completely innocent. I had gone twice in the same day The first time I left there wa a 4x4 close behind, well too close, hence the camera did not "clock me out"

This very "clever" system, I am told operated from hundreds of miles away, has not the capability to match up two entries and one exit. My "penalty" was quashed, as I pointed out I had documentary evidence I was elsewhere, when I was supposed to be parked there .

What does worry me is that the company is able to access th data base a at the DVLA to find names and addresses. If the company is properly controlled, there is nothing to worry about, but shouldn't the information regarding the controls re confidentiality etc operated by the company be freely available and also the monitring of these controls also be freely available?

I believe there are controls regarding the display of notices, do these conform or are the controls sufficient?

On a Health and Safety issue, pedestrian entering from the York Street side have to share the ramp with motorists, how did something so basicaly dangerous slip past the planners?

Alan

Town: BR/ASH

Although I know of the time limit now, it was not until I was warned about it that I realised one existed. I had been lucky and never over stayed.

I must admit I still haven't noticed the signs.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Just remembered, ask to see the photographic evidence.

It is usually too much trouble and will be dropped.

Alan

Town: BR/ASH

I agree with that planning issue Alan, I often walk up the rampway with the dogs and have had a few near misses, (especially in the bad weather)

Town: Ashton

You're right AngelJane, no wonder towns die.

Town: A-in-M