Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ashurst family

hi there
i would like to ask if any one knows my grandmother sarah alice ashurst, she was born spring view long lane ashton ,they moved to 465 bolton rd , she married my grandad joseph norman hutchinson 53 joffs? lane1917. did she have any siblings i dont know as she died young ,does any one know thankyou shirley ps she was born 1894

Town: doncaster

Re: ashurst family

Hello Shirley,
There seems to be some confusion with the address you give. Spring view is about 3 miles from here but Long Lane is quite near.(it has changed name now to Bryn Rd).

465 Bolton Road is in Stubshaw Cross.
There doesn't seem to be a long lane in Spring View.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Hi Ian

I didn#t know that Bryn Road used to be called Long Lane...I think that I prefer the latter it makes sense!

As you know my Grandparents lived on Bolton Road around that number so I will ask my Mum today.

Town: Ashton

Ian
The address given is possibly correct. Back in the 1890's a lot of the terraced rows had indivividual names rather than the street numbers we have now.
If you look up at the terraced houses still standing many are in rows of four with a plaque in the middle that has the name of that row. For example on Old Road there is a row with a plaque called "Tedber Terrace" and on Warrington Road there is a row with a plaque called "Park View".
Therefore in the 1890's there was possibly a row of terraces on Long Lane (now Bryn Road) with a plaque called "Spring View".
They may still be standing today although a lot of the terraced houses on Long Lane (Bryn Road) have been demolished.

Town: ashton

Good point Karin, I'll have look.
Yes Debbie it does make sense having the old name.

hi there it says on the birth certificate, sarah alice ashurst 1894 spring view lane ashton .

and joseph norman born 171 warrington road abram.

but it looks like they both moved he lived 53 joffs lane platt bridge , and she moved to 465 bolton road , do youknow these places thanks shirley

No mention of Long Lane in your last post Shirley.
Did you miss it out?
I will look to see if there are a group of houses still there called "Spring View" later today.

sorry i must have missed it shirley

Actually (which they never said in them days), it was really called Lung Lone...

Hi I have spoke to my Mum and she remembers Joseph, but she thought that he lived on 'the fronts' at Riding Lane? Did he have a son?

Town: Ashton in Makerifled

hi there
my grandparents had jack , thomas james , samual , and lydia ,hutchinson , he worked in the mine , i think he was in the navy . it would b good if someone new them ,thanks shirley

Hi Shirley

I have found 2 Sarah Alice Ashursts on the 1901 census.

56 Nicol Rd (which is just off Bryn Rd)( Long Lane)

Edward Ashurst 34 Durham
Jane Ashurst 35
Mary Ann Howarth 13
Thomas Ashurst 12
Robert Ashurst 9
Clara? Ashurst 7
Sarah Alice Ashurst 6
Bertha Ashurst 3
James Ashurst 1
Robert Howarth 67
James Howarth 27

Note that the head of the family, Edward was born in Durham.
The first child Mary Ann has surname Howarth, suggesting birth before marriage as she would have taken her mothers name.
To further this evidence, note that Robert Howarth and his son James are living with the family. Robert and James are listed as Father in Law and Son in Law respectively.

Next we have:

Mount Pleasant ( on Bryn Rd I think)

Thomas Ashurst 30 Durham
Lydia Ashurst 29
Robert Ashurst 10
Sarah Alice Ashurst 6
John Ashurst 2
Thomas Ashurst 1 month
Thomas Ashurst 67 (listed as Father)

It seems likely that Thomas and Edward Ashurst where brothers. Also I would guess that Jane married to Edward would have the maiden name of Howarth.

If these are your family then you are lucky to have indicators like these e.g. Maiden names and Fathers living with sons as this will allow further searching of the census with confidence.

I hope the above is helpful.

Andrede

Town: SC

hi andrede thankyou so much for taking the time this is great info.

it took me some time to work out i think i got it now .

i think the thomas ashurst head is my sarah alice ashurst.

i see what you mean about edward being thomas brother . and janes father and brother living with them .

icannt understand why there are two sarah alice same age in two different households, can you thanks again shirley

Hi Shirley

Given that you have some maiden names and names of fathers you should trace them back even further. You can access the census records in your local library or history shop. Gimme a shout if you need help.

Andrede

Hi Andrede

Thats interesting, I may have to do a family tree for medical purposes is the history shop the best place to start?

hi andrede

thanks again , i do know a bit about the ashurst , i will try the libuary, i would still like to know what my grandmother was like , if any family was left ie , i remember hearing when i was little , somthing about sarah alice was a champion swimmer, i dont know if this was at school or not or even true , never seen a picture of her , any way i must stop rambeling on , thanks again shirley.

Hi Shirley - re your query on Sarah Alice at two addresses. I had a similar experience when doing my family tree so I asked the experts at the History Shop. The census returns were completed by some official knocking at doors and listing who was in the household at that time. They did not count anyone who was not there during that spot check. I had a couple of cases where someone did not appear on a census but turned up on a later one.So, for example, if someone was coming back from the pub and missed the census taker he would not appear on the census. On the other hand visitors to a household at the spot check were counted. As a census took place over some days Sarah Alice could have been at home one day but visiting/playing with friends at another household when the census taker called there.

Town: AIM

hi roy
thanks for telling me that , i like your example gone to pub , so they could be the same family then or not , i will have to try the libary , thank a lot for the info , i will keep looking shirley

Hi Shirley and RoyH

I tend to agree that is possibly the same Sarah Alice age 6. If so she must have ran round to her uncles house or back to her fathers house.

Hi Shirley

I am sorry Shirley but I could not I help myself. I had to go further into the past. So here goes:

It seems that the Father-in-Law connection was correct as we see, 10 years earlier, in 1891 that Edward Ashurst and his wife Jane were living with her father Robert Howarth.

(1891)
24 Nicol Rd

Robert Howarth Head Male Widowed 57 Bury
Henry Howarth Son Male 24 Blackrod
James Howarth Son Male 18 Blackrod
Edward Ashurst Head Male 24 Durham
Jane Ashurst Wife Female 23 Blackrod
Mary Ann Ashurst Daughter Female 3 Ashton
Thomas Ashurst Son Male 2 Ashton

I suspected that Edward had a brother Thomas ( your Thomas). I found Thomas in the same year still living with his father.

(1891)
Mount Pleasant

Thomas Ashurst Head Male 47 Wigan
Samuel Ashurst Son Male 22 Wigan
Thomas Ashurst Son Male 20 Castle Eden Durham
Mary Ann Ashurst Daughter Female 16 Laindon? Durham
Elisabeth Ashurst Daughter Female 14 Wingate Durham
Clara Ashurst Daughter Female 9 Ashton

The correct ages and the fact he was born in Castle Eden in Durham and living in the same place are convincing evidence that we are on the right track.

I couldnt leave it there could I??

So I looked at 1881.

Sure enough there were Edward and Thomas living with their father, Thomas, in 26 Nicol Rd in 1881. Edward is 14 , Thomas is 10.:

(1881)
26 Nicol Road

Thomas Ashurst Head Married 35 Male Coal Miner Wigan
Mary Ann Ashurst Wife Married 34 Female
Edward Ashurst Son 14 Male Coal Mines Drawer Shotton Durham
Samuel Ashurst Son 12 Male Coal Mines Drawer Wigan
Thomas Ashurst Son 10 Male Scholar Castle Eden Durham
Mary Ann Ashurst Daughter 6 Female Scholar Trindon? Durham
Elizabeth Ashurst Daughter 4 Female Wingate Durham

Your young Thomas is only 10 years old. I wonder when he set eyes on young Jane his future wife. Here we see a stones throw away at 24 Nicol Road:

(1881)
24 Nicol Rd

Robert Howarth Head Married 47 Male Coal Miner Bury
Mary Howarth Wife Married 44 Female Wigan
Henry Howarth Son 14 Male Labourer In Coal Miner Blackrod
>>Jane Howarth Daughter 13 Female Scholar Blackrod
James Howarth Son 8 Male Scholar Blackrod
John Sudworth Head Married 23 Male Coal Miner Ashton In Makerfield
Ann Sudworth Wife Married 20 Female Wigan.

I love local history Shirley and do not want to put any more of your family history on here without your permission. If you want to email me I will gladly return any information I have. I will email the moderator with my email address and hope that he can pass it on to you.

Good luck in your family search!

Andrede

p.s.

If I have made any mistakes then please pull me up.

How fantastic is that information!!! You could earn a living from this, where can I join the line for my info?

Hi Debbie

I wish I could earn a living from it!!

hi andrede
just got your note its so good of you to take the time to look all that info up its nice when people like your self can help .i will have to get all this info down on paper ,i dont mind you putting info on here , some one could see it and connect with my family , do you live in ashton , my dad died years ago he didnt talk much about his mother as i think it upset him as he was 18 when she died , i can remember he said when he lived in ashton he was run over going to the shop for some savoury duck ? , i live in yorkshire thats were most of the family finished up , going to where coal mining was ,any way iam going on a bit now ,, thankyou so much for your help shirley ps is nicol rd in ashton ?

Shirley
Nicol Road is in Ashton and it adjoins Bryn Road (Bryn Road was previously known as Long Lane). If you log onto Wiganworld website there are lots of old photographs of Ashton and some are of Nicol Road with the lake that was there (now filled in.) There are also lots of old photographs of Bryn Road with the three sisters coal slag heaps in the background (which were known as the Wigan Alps). The photographs are great to get an idea of the Bryn Road / Nicol Road area.

Town: ashton

hi karin
thanks for that ive looked before at the photos but now i know the proper street names i can connect .
karin is abram , in ashton my great grandad was married at st johns the evangelist, james and amy hutchinson , they lived at 211 warrington rd is this road still there . thanks shirley

Hello! I realize this is an old thread, but I hope someone is still monitoring it...I'm working on my family tree and this thread caught my eye as there are a lot of similarities, however, there is a one thing that doesn't match what I have so I don't want to make an assumption. My great grandfather was John Ashurst - brother to Sarah Alice (born 1895). I have Sarah Alice marrying a John Hutchinson as told by my grandad. You have noted his name was Joseph - I was wondering if you could confirm. I had the names Jack, Samuel, Thomas and Lydia as Sarah and John (possibly Joesph) children.

Any additional information would be wonderful!
Thank you so much
Emma

Town: Canada