Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: YouTube

Hi Andrede
Fanastic, woderfull, unbelievable simply unbeatable.
Where are Americans like him today?
Alan

Town: Ashton

Re: Re: YouTube

The man is a true hero.

He put his life on the line, stood up bravely for what he believed in.

But for him segregation in the USA might still exist!

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Hi Andrede
Also like Ghandi, he used peaceful means, how many today can claim that, even if their cause is just?
Many of us claim to be Christian, few of us can hold a candle to Martin Luther King
Alan

Town: Ashton

Hi Alan

Martin Luther King learned a lot from Gandhi and put to good use his philosophy of Non-violent Direct Action. His resistance to retaliate dis-empowered the oppressors.
I think the events surrounding MLK and the speeches should be taught in school. Not as something to behold, but as a tool for learning about non-violence and equality.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.
I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character." MLK

Andrede