Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barclays Bank

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. But the attitude of some of the banks is appalling. I haven't forgotten TSB deducting a charge for an overdraft facility I hadn't requested, without asking. When their charge resulted me in being overdrawn, they then charged me for the overdraft! I moved to NatWest, who, after I opened the account, told me I couldn't withdraw more than £50! I then withdrew the lot and closed the account. My main banker has been the old Girobank, now Alliance and Leicester, and they've only let me down once in almost 40 years.

- David -

Hi David,
I left Barclays Bank some 35years ago and like yourself I went in with Girobank, never had a problem in all that time.

Vic

Town: Bryn

Hi
I once heard non complimentary nick names for finacial institutions like
Nastywset
Shabby Life
Does anyone remember anymore?
One of the old tricks was to lower the interest on a cerain savings account and bring a new one out a that interest rate. If you weren't careful the interest was minimal unless you changed accounts.
Alan

Town: Ashton

I thought that quietly making accounts 'legacy accounts' still happened. Or are the banks and building societies supposed to notify people now when they scale down the interest rate drastically on an account? Perhaps they get round it when they send you a sheet listing umpteen accounts with interest rates and hope you don't notice.

- David -

To bring you up to date: I have still not received a statement from Barclays and have instituted a formal complaint with their 'Customer Relations' department. A letter today advises me that they will deal with it by the 10th September. Nice of them - hope it doesn't interfere with the smooth running of their business.

- David -

Today I managed to speak to a representative of the local Barclays, who tells me, basically, that they have done b*gger all to resolve the problem I have with their management of my account. Never mind, they've told me they will rectify it - that's the fourth time I've received that assurance in the last five weeks; will it be any different this time?

- David -

Hi David
Just a thought, with your website experience, would the promise of using it to let the world wide web know of your experience with them do the trick. Enough hits from the AinM Forum contributors, might push it high on a search, to let people know their lack of action.
Alan

Hi Alan -

I don't know what will move them to action. The formal complaint doesn't seem to have aroused much interest from them, even though I've told them that I've written to the press about their appalling level of service. I managed to speak to someone from Wigan today, who revealed that the relative's accounts haven't been closed, despite their promises, and said that they would arrange for me to have a statement, but as I've been promised this three times before I'll wait to see if they can finally get their act together.

- David -

Today I get a phone call saying a) they screwed up; and b) they are going to sort it out. Watch this space....

Re: Re: Barclays Bank

Hi, David. I had a joint savings account at Barclays with my mum, which we left to gather interest. When she went to withdraw some money after a few years she was told that the account had been closed as it hadn't been used. When asked what had happened to the not inconsiderable amount of money involved, Barclays where cagey. Reading between the lines, however, they'd basically pocketed it. That's another on-going dispute with the ever so friendly (NOT!) Ashton branch. I use Barclays to change up my coppers, as I get great pleasure when they ask if I have an account there (they want to charge me for the service). I then go into an elaborate explanation of what happened, thus holding up the queue (apologies to other customers. hope your problem is now resolved.

Hi Mike -

Yes the problem is now resolved, but not without further hassle and delay by their complaints department. The basic problem seems to be that, just like in the TV adverts, multiple departments are dealing with problems rather than the local branch, and the local branch seems to have no involvement or interest in sorting problems out.

They did send me two bottles of wine as an apology, but a course of blood pressure pills might have been more appropriate.

As I've said before, I'm just glad that I'm not banking with them (or at least, won't be after I sort out this executor's account).

- David -