Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: read this article i it is sickening

Hi
I suppose I am one of those Gaurdian reading dogooders, although I read the Times.
Whilst at a town centre church I used to go out and speak to these young people, when I had broken the barriers down , they were allright.
the message that came through was, at home no one wanted to talk to them, YES they had every material thing they could wish for, as for family contact,NONE.
I tried hard to start Street Pastors, this is not Bible Bashing, just listening, I had no success. Still there is still time, God willing.
Going to work at 3.50am this morning I heard a reformed alcholic on radio 5, he was saying when you see an alcholic lying in the gutter remember once he or she was held as a baby with love in some ones arms.
we have all these costly initiatives by local and national government etc, just try listening, not talking.

God Bless
Alan

Town: Ashton

Re: Re: read this article i it is sickening

Whilst I agree with the statement that listening is good, I doubt it would work in this case.

When I first moved into my house I used to detest the kids at the side of my house and used to be grumpy with them. All you generally got back was bother. Then it dawned on me that it wasnt that long ago that I was doing the same thing and was being told to move on even when doing nothing wrong. So I changed my attitude and they changed thiers, now I dont have half the problems.

Although you have to wonder in this case!!

Is there no response from the police for this disgusting display of aggressive behaviour? Despite Ashton being blackened in the national, regional and local news, I haven't seen any account in the press of the police attempting to pursue these idiotic youths who placed someone's life in jeopardy. Are they going to be called to account?

Hi Mark
Yes in this case the full weight ofthe law should apply, as in any case where there is law breaking.
It is a case of talking and more importantly listening before it gets to this situation.
Alan

I agree David

This is a case where we would expect to see some direct action. But it does NOT happen. I think we as residents feel a little helpless in cases such as this because we cannot be directly involved. I think what we CAN do is to contact our local Councillors because this kind of behavior cannot be overlooked. As the author of the post points out, this is " sickening".
Direct action needs to be taken and I can see no other way than through our ward councillors approaching WMBC.
Trouble in Ashton town centre is happening all the time. The cameras are a waste of police and the police are a waste cameras.

Andrede

Some good news....

From the GMP website:

"Three arrested after ambulance crew threatened (Wigan)

Police investigating after an ambulance crew was threatened in Ashton-in-Makerfield while attending an emergency have arrested three men.

The three men, aged 25, 22, and 21, all from Newton-le-Willows, were arrested on suspicion of affray and have been released on police bail until 10 August 2007 pending further inquiries.

The arrests follow an incident at about 7.45pm on Thursday 19 July 2007, where an ambulance crew were threatened on Council Avenue in Ashton-in-Makerfield."

- David -