Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Three Sisters History/Pix

Hi Adele

I went to two of the Three Sisters batwalks last year and they are fantastic depending on weather conditions. On the best night we identified 3 different species of bats. It really is worth going and the kids will love it.

Andrede

Adele my father in law has no photos sorry

Town: Ashton/Stubshaw Cross

Hi Adele,
You went on a bat walk, very tempting to make a comment, but I ain't that brave.
When I was your childrens age I think they were still digging the first pit, at least. that is how old I feal. Actually they were in full swing producing coal but the three spoil heaps where complete many years before. Does anyone remember the spoi heap from Potters farm to the east end of Locket Road? Apparently there was a railway line on top that is how it grew longer, so my mother told me so we are going back to about 1914.
Not quite local history, Bickershaw/Abram history, does anyone remember or remember been told of The Ludovic Berry Tradedy at the Junction pit?
A train disapeared down an old mine shaft, they never got the driver out.
Alan

Town: Ashton

Hi Addele and Andrede,
OOPS got the posts mixed up, it must be me going batty
Alan

Hi Adele,
Friends of Three Sisters are in the final stages of producing a book on the history of the Three Sisters.

The book will contain some photos, however if you wish to see lots of photos you can find them through the History Shop in Wigan. There is a series of photos taken before, during and after the redevelopment of Three Sisters. Hope this is of use to you?

If you need more info you can contact me via the link to Chair on www.friendsof3sisters.org.uk

Ps are you the Adele who is married to one of our councillors?

Best regards

Town: Bryn

There's a great picture here but you'll have to ask David, (the owner of the site), if you can use it.

http://dmnw26769.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/threesisters/history.htm

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Hi Ian -

It's a good pic, but it isn't mine. It was passed on to me, but I don't know where the original came from.

I think Adele was looking for pics pre-reclamation. I remember walking there in my courting days, but I didn't have photography on my mind :)

- David -

Re: Re: Three Sisters History/Pix

Hi David,
The photo is copyright and belongs to Wigan Heritage Records Dept.

I have been looking through a whole batch of photos of Three Sisters taken, before, during and after the reclamation, there are some very interesting views amongst them.

Best regards
Vic

Hi Vic -

Do you have a contact at the Heritage Centre so we can ask permission to publish?

- David -

Re: Re: Three Sisters History/Pix

Hi David,
We are on the same lines, will keep you posted.

Vic

Re: Re: Re: Three Sisters History/Pix

Vic. As you know I was born in Stubshaw Cross in 1937 and the three sisters was my early years play area..I have some wonderful pictures of the area from 1947 to about 1955.... trouble is they are all in my head!
I would therefore be interested to see the book when it comes out just to see how good,or how bad, that my memory is. In the meantime I am drawing a rough sketch of how I remember it and will e-mail it to the forum.It would be interesting to compare my memories with other old codgers as well....Ray

Town: Stubshie

Re:Three Sisters History/Pix

Thanks Ray look forward to that, in the mean time can we get you plugged into a computer and download the pictures?

Serious though it's a good idea to put your memories into text, maybe they could accompany some of the photos.

Best regards

Vic

Re: Re:Three Sisters History/Pix

Vic. DM has loaded my sketch into the system under Bryn Gates header but My wife has already pulled me up for an inaccuracy because she remembers the hill with the square pit shaft on as being before the actual three main hills and that would now be the hill that the cows graze on today. Bryn Wood had a lot more treesthan we see today so a lot of them must have been destroyed or buried.the pit shaft was surroundedby a square crunbling wall which we used to climb to throw bricks down. I used to be terrified. and more than one body is rumoured to be down thers either accidently or purposfully.....Ray

Town: Stubshie

good grief ian your up early

Town: Ashton/Stubshaw Cross

Hi Adelle
Try this link http://dmnw26769.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/collieries/ashton.htm
Alan

um, thanks for the replies.

Julian - i used to go to Cansfield High - shame your F-in-l has no pix, was lookin forward to them.

Andrede - thanks for that we'll look out for the next one (whenever that is)

Alan - i can imagine what your reply would've been! yes, i am nocturnal, but i'm CatWoman rather than BatWoman !!

Vic - lol, now my identity is out of the bag (no comments please!)i look forward to that book when it comes out; reserve me a copy and would someone sign it for me. :O)

DM - yes, it is pre-reclaimation. also, methinks, was it the scenery you were interested in then. ;o)

V