Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: online grocery shopping

I would have thought that the programme was sedative enough.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Seems to me that the programme had a good point to make. Unless you throw them away you end up with a cupboard full of empty plastic shopping bags.

In Ireland a few years ago , the major supermarkets were made to charge for plastic shopping bags and provided re-usable nylon green bags. The scheme worked. Everywhere you went people would be carrying things, including their shopping in the re-usable green bags. Would be a good eco-friendly idea to implement into our own 'throw-away' nation.

ps I get my night-time sedative from Bartons.

Andrede

Hi
When TV started in the North West, YES I am that old!!
There was a genuine shortage of fuel supplies, there was one channel, BBC, childrens TV started at 5.00pm and finished at 6.00pm. There was then a shutdown until 7.30 when the evening programmes started until 10.00pm.
We now have 100's of channels 24 hours a day, many telling us we are wasting energy.
Add to that 24 hour radio, putting out the same rubbish programmes and also programmes telling us to save energy.
Shops used to open from 9.00am to 6.00 pm with half day Wednesday and out of town shops half day Saturday as well.Sunday they all shut, oh and they were on the doorstep, no driving to an out of town hypermarket 24 hours a day.
Why can't people read a book or play scrabble or remember they will need a tin of beans at 2.30am. then perhaps the energy crisis may be more realistic.
And while we are on about it do I need to write this at 14.04 on Friday 13/07/07 while waiting for my frozen food to cook.
Alan
I can guess Julien's comment

Town: Ashton

Re: Re: online grocery shopping

alan any chance of that shop of yours doing online shopping?

Town: Ashton/Stubshaw Cross

Hi Julien
The first job on Monday morning is to sharpen the quills and make sure the ink wells are full.
Alan

Town: Ashton