Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: New Florida!!

Hi Andrede

Many thanks for the information.
Do you know of any reason for the U.S. names - New Florida & Boston?
We will check out "Old Maps".
Family name in research is HEATON.
1851 census:- James Heaton & family - New Florida!
His daughter Elizabeth married Joseph Prescott from Lowton. These are my great grandparents.

Malcolm

Re: New Florida!!

Hi Malcolm

How old was James Heaton on the 1851 census?
And do you know any of the family members?

Cheers

Andrede

Re: Re: New Florida!!

Hi Andrede

James 46, Margaret 40, Alice 18, James 16, William 14, John 11, Henry 9, Ann 5, Mary Ellen 3 and twins Thomas & Joseph 8 months.

Malcolm

Re: Re: Re: New Florida!!

If you check the later census for '61/71/81/91/01, you'll probably find the Heatons (I think it's the same family) in Lower Lane - what is now Liverpool Road, Pewfall. They lived next-door-but-one to me when I was growing up. My family (then called Eden, then Fairhurst, then Critchley) moved to those houses between 1891 and 1901, so compared to the Heatons (who were mostly Harrisons by then) we were 'newcomers' when we were chucked out in 1969 so our lovely old houses could be flattened to make way for immensely ugly bungalows. I've always wanted to trace the history of the old houses, but as they aren't there any more it's somewhat difficult!

Town: Ashton

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Florida!!

Hi Julie

Thank you for making contact. We now know where Lower Lane is (was), thanks. It is the same family, we traced them in the 61 and 71 censuses but we were following Elizabeth who by the 81 census was married and living in Abram. Sorry we can't help you with the old houses and their history.

Thanks again,

Malcolm