Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Photographs of Gerard Street, 1970's/1980's

Dear Ashtonians,

Having visited your website, I have been amazed by the changes that have taken place within Ashton town centre. I am searching for photographs of the town during the seventies and eighties and would be grateful if you could direct me to them.

I was born in Ashton in 1971 in Greenfields Crescent (Mucklow's Estate) and am simply trying to recapture something of my past that is important to me. If you are able to help in any way I would be most grateful.

Yours faithfully,

Mark Briscoe
mbriscoe@ripon-cuddesdon.ac.uk
07794 948221

Town: Cuddesdon, Oxford

Re: Photographs of Gerard Street, 1970's/1980's

Hi Mark,

Not many from your era, but some old Ashton photos at the below link:

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/showalbum.php?opt=5&offset=0&gallery=Ashton

Re: Photographs of Gerard Street, 1970's/1980's

Hi Mark

Ashton has changed a lot for good and for bad. It still retains some of its beauty spots such as the Three Sisters , Ashton Heath, Skitters Wood and a particular favourite of mine is the path and wooded area between Ashton Heath and Golbourne Rd.
However, a great deal of residents are angry about the over development of our area: supermarkets that we dont need and industrial units being built when there are so many lying empty.

A group has been set up to try and combat over-development , I thought you might like to take a look at their website. www.ashtonmad.co.uk

As for photographs, is there anything in particular you want a photo of?

Cheers and Regards

Andrede

Town: Ashton