Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Places to MTB in Wigan

Are there any people who are into Mountain Biking who come on here and if so where are good places to ride around here? I usually do a 10 mile ride around Viridor woods then down the canal to Hawkley, back over the Three Sisters and back on to the the opposite side of Viridor. You can view it here... http://www.robos2006.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/route2.kmz You will need Google Earth to view it. After a year of doing this route it's kind of getting boring so just wondering if anyone as any recommended routes?
I'm also trying to get some people together for a trek up Rivington Pike or Winter Hill sometime soon so if anyone is up for it then let me know.
Cheers
Rob

Town: Ashton

Re: Places to MTB in Wigan

Hello Rob,
I must know you by sight at least. I have been doing quite a bit of your route for the last 3 years.

Some suggestions :
When you get to Dover lock try going towards Leigh and getting off at Pennington Flash.

Better still if you drive put the bike in the back and drive to Gathurst or Appley Bridge and cycle towards Burscough.

Go past Hawkley to Wigan and take the route up to the Top Lock.
Once you get to the top it takes you through Haigh Hall and onwards for a really pleaseant ride.

Hope this helps you find somewhere new.

Ian.

Town: Stubshaw Cross