Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ashton History

I had a bundle of material given me today by Ian Winstanley, including an A4 booklet entitled "Ashton: its origin and development". This looks like something prepared in a school for study by the students, and contains some fascinating material which I've transcribed to the website.

In the pages is an extract from the 1851 census, and one of the first names is John Jonas Kilshaw, aged 3. This would appear to be the same John Jonas who became the 'Hermit of Ashton Heath'. Quite a coincidence.

If anyone can identify the author of the original booklet I'd appreciate it.

- David -

Re: Ashton History

The Brown brothers will be interested in that as they are related to the Ashton Hermit

Town: Stubshaw

Re: Ashton History

The Brown brothers can be proud, as their mum, Sheila, has contributed a fine piece recording the memories of their grandmother, Margaret Duddy.

This can be found in a section on Ashton history at http://dmnw26769.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/localhistory/index.htm

- David -