Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Land Junction Druid Street Mill St

Irrespective of ownership, the land has been looking better for being cleared. The willow tree looked like it was being used as a drinking den, with piles of rubbish in the area. I'm hoping that once UU have completed their work it can be landscaped.

- David -

The pub in Druid Street was called the Millstone Inn one of the last landlords was a Mr Benson and the brewery was Greenhall Whitney.The pub closed in the late sixties and was used for a variety of purposes afterwards. I have a photograph taken in the early sixties of myself as a young child with the landlord at the front of the pub. The pub was situated at the end of a row of terraced houses there was a gap then a further block of five terrace houses and also terrace houses on the other side of the street. At the back of the pub there had been a bowling green but even in the sixties it was overgrown.The houses and pub were compulsory purchsased my Wigan metro in 1983 and demolished shortly afterwards. I believe the land situated at the corner of Druid St/Mill Street is still owned by United Utilities going back to the days when there was a reservoir which supported the mill that closed at the turn of the century.

Town: Ashton

Hi Brian -

I'd like to post your contribution to the Ashton Local History site in view of the interesting details you add. Also, would it be possible to have a copy of the photograph you mention for the website?

- David -

Re: Re: Land Junction Druid Street Mill St

Managed to scan the photo into my computer how do I send you the photo?

Hi Brian -

You can attach it to a message to dm@aimi.org.uk.

TIA

- David -

Re: Re: Land Junction Druid Street Mill St

Hi, Brian. Are you by any chance Brian U, brother of David, mum and dad Jim & Marjorie? How ya doing?
Regards, Mike