Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ashton town centre?

Alan/ St. Thomas`s church was made into a parish church in 1650 by the Commonwealth Surveyors and from that point Ashton became the town centre by natural growth around the church,
Source. British History Online,,,Vol. 4 , Township of Ashton-in-Makerfield.

Town: Stubshie

Hi Ray and Alan

The following extracts are from British History On Line and you can see that St Thomas's church was only recommended by the Commonwealth Surveyors to be made into a parish church but it didn't happen until 1845.

The following is from British History On Line.

"There is no record of the origin of St. Thomas's Chapel at Ashton, which is first named in the pleadings in 1515. The Commonwealth Surveyors of 1650 found everything in order, and recommended it to be made a parish church.
In 1845, on the division of the rectory of Winwick, was made a parish church, being endowed with the tithes of Haydock.
By the same Act of 1845 Holy Trinity Church, Downall Green, built in 1837, was made the principal church, its incumbent having the title of rector of Ashton, and being endowed with the tithes of the township."

Town: Bryn

Hi Vic -

I'm reading Baines History of Lancashire, and found that the Bishop of Chester in the reign of George I carried out a census of parishes in Cheshire and Lancashire. He describes the Parish of St Thomas' in Ashton as containing 200 families, and states that the parish register started in 1712.

- David -

I don't think Holy Trinity/Downall Green ever was regarded as the centre. It was just that in 1845 they formed a new parish and separated it from the rest of Ashton. Why they made it a 'rectory' and so effectively the senior partner to St Thomas's, I have no idea. But St Thomas's is called 'Ashton Chapel' in many early mentions (such as Roger Lowe) and it seems clear that it was at the heart of the town. I always imagine Roger Lowe's shop to have been in what is now Gerard Street, although I don't think there is any actual location given in the diary.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil Ray & Vic
Thanks for the info, re Holy Trinity. I am still curious why the old Ashton Grammer was then so far from the centre of Ashton?
Alan

Town: Bryn Road Car & Lorry Park

Re: Re: Ashton town centre?

Alan,My computer has barred me from answering that question, or at least external forces have...

Town: Stubshie

Hi Alan -

From www.oldashtonians.org.uk:

The Ashton in Makerfield Grammar School was founded in 1588. It was founded under the terms of the will of a Robert Byrchall, a yeoman of local parish. Shortly before his death, Byrchall called together six prominent men of the parish and outlined his ideas, binding them to carry them out after his death. These men then met on August 1, 1588 to keep their promise and drew up an indenture which set out the facts.

On the 24th September 1589, Sir Thomas Gerard and his son Thomas, granted a plot of land 44 feet by 30 feet, at Seneley Green, on which to erect a school. Construction of the school began shortly thereafter.

This original site is located on School Lane in Garswood. It is currently occupied by the local library which was constructed as the Grammar school in the 1730's, it itself was built on the original site of the school. It was not until the 1890's when the school moved location to Old Road in Ashton and then again to Warrington Road in 1965.

- David -

A good question Alan,
Why build it so far from the centre?
I have no answer but heres some info from 1588:
"It was agreed between the said parties that there should be a convenient school-house erected with all convenient speed in Ashton, in a place called Philidore Steele, near to Seneley Green ...etc"

I wonder what place Philidore Steele was?

Andrede

The parish church of Ashton-in-Makerfield is St. Thomas, Warrington Road.

The ancient parish of Ashton which still exists to the present was under the jurisdiction of the Rector of Ashton, the Incumbent of Holy Trinity, 'Garswood' (Downalll Green, in present geographical name). The Rector of 'Garswood' is Patron to the Parish of Ashton (St. Thomas). It is a question of patronage which needs to be understood. A 'patron' has the right to appoint a memeber of the clergy to a benefice; to appoint someone as vicar of the parish. ( a benefice is a parish that allows the priest to live their until they die). In Ashton's case, this is the Rector of Holy Trinity, Downall Green (North Ashton). However, he or she is not the vicar of Ashton.
Hope this is useful.
Bill

Town: Old Ashtonian